|CHAPTER FOUR|

*JAZMYN'S POV*
"Jazzy, hurry up! You're gonna be late for your very first day of high school!"

My mom shouted from down the stairs as I was still putting the finishing touches on my outfit.

Y'know, life really IS a scam. You're literally born, put right into school between the ages four to five, then you're basically stuck working until you die.

How fun.

My summer was pretty dope, though.

Mariah went on a family vacation to Florida, Cynthia went out of town with her mom for the summer, which left me going to basketball camp for the summer.

It was just a female basketball camp. I've BEEN wanting to do it, but you had to be at least age thirteen in order to attend.

I turned fourteen over the summer, so I was able to go as soon as I graduated the eighth grade.

I am SO ready to be on a basketball team already. I wonder if my new school has a female basketball team.

It would only be fair. We're older now.

"Don't you look beautiful for your first day of high school? My baby growing up on me."

My mom said as I came down the stairs, getting a bit teary eyed. I threw my backpack on my back, laughing at my mom's dramatic ass.

"Mom, it's literally only the first day of high school. I'm not going off to war. Don't worry."

"What your mother is trying to say is; you're getting so old on us so quick. We're so proud of you. Have a good day, and make it your best."

My father smiled brightly, kissing me on my forehead. My mom hugged me tightly.

Right when I went to walk out the door, I opened the door to see Trae just standing there, looking frightened when I opened the door.

"What are you doing just standing on my front doorstep like a stalker, Trae?"

"Uh, I came to see if you wanted to walk to school with each other. I figured you probably wouldn't wanna walk alone. And since we're neighbors going to the same school, why not?"

"First off, who said I would be alone?"

"I don't see Cynthia nor Mariah with you."

Trae shrugged, looking at me with a playful grin on his face. I laughed and closed my front door, starting to walk away from my house with him.

"Okay, fine. You got me. I guess we're walking to school together, then."

"All jokes aside, where's the both of them anyways?"

"Cynthia's mom wants to drive her to school this year, and Mariah has been with her new boo, Dave. They've been chatting it up all summer while she's been gone."

"He's going to our school, too?"

"Yup. Essex High School is like the closest high school for all of us. He's best friends with this kid I've known since elementary school."