|CHAPTER ONE|

(AUTHOR'S NOTE: the first few chapters will be told from a third person's point of view until Chris and Jazmyn become freshman's in high school

(AUTHOR'S NOTE: the first few chapters will be told from a third person's point of view until Chris and Jazmyn become freshman's in high school.)

Christopher Brown is a ten year old fifth grade elementary student that attends Palms Elementary School.

From the age of two, Chris has always loved playing basketball.

Chris' parents Joyce and Clinton had split up before Chris had even began kindergarten. They had split custody of Chris.

Chris would stay the week with Joyce, and the weekends with Clinton.

Whenever Chris and Clinton would be together, they would have the time of their lives.

One day during the summer time, Clinton and one of Chris' cousins were enjoying themselves by playing basketball in the yard.

That's the moment where Chris fell in love with the game of basketball.

You see, Chris didn't have the perfect life when he was home with Joyce.

Joyce had a boyfriend who would physically abuse her, no matter if Chris was there or not. There was nothing that Clinton could do, besides care for Chris and make sure he was safe before anything.

Chris' weekends with Clinton would be his prefect escape. Clinton would take Chris anywhere he wanted, let him do whatever he wanted.

And that day? Chris found his new love and new escape;

The precious game of basketball.

From that day on, every time one of his family members would be playing a game of basketball, Chris would do the most to express his love for the game.

Chris eventually started kindergarten, and Joyce and Clinton looked into the basketball program. Students weren't able to start playing basketball until fourth grade, so it was four more years Chris had to wait until he started playing.

The day came sooner or later, and Chris couldn't have been happier. It turns out, he was one of the best players on the team.

The Bulldogs, they called it.

Chris is now in the beginning of his fifth grade year, still enjoying his place on the basketball team.

"Can I play with you, Christopher?"

Jazmyn, one of Chris' classmates questioned Chris as he was outside at recess with some of his teammates, practicing some shots.

Chris looked at Jazmyn, slightly rolling his eyes.

The funny part is, Chris actually had a massive crush on Jazmyn. But, he always acted differently just to try to remain the little macho man of the team.

"No, Jazmyn. This is only OUR team. Basketball is a boys sport."

"Is not! My mommy and daddy told me that basketball is a sport for everyone! I'm going to become a famous basketball player one day."

"In your dreams! There are waaaay more boy basketball players than there are girls."

Tyler, one of Chris' teammates teased Jazmyn.

That's the thing about Jazmyn; she's different than most little girls you meet.

Jazmyn didn't care what boys said to or about her. She did what she wanted, and nobody was ever changing her mind.

She was one of the guys when it came to basketball.

Jazmyn was determined to make it to the WNBA one day when she grows up.

Jazmyn and her father are pretty close, she's practically daddy's little girl. Her father is invested in basketball. So whenever he would be playing his video game, watching a game of basketball, or playing an actual game outside with his buddies, Jazmyn would be right by his side, enjoying the moment.

That's where Jazmyn and Chris are alike.

Chris' biggest dream is to become a famous NBA player when he grows up. He wants to be able to take care of himself and his parents while doing what he loves the most.

"Maybe we should let her get a few shots in. Let's see how good she actually is, for a girl."

Riley, one of the other members of The Bulldogs blurted out, passing Jazmyn the ball.

Jazmyn chuckled, dribbling the ball, running past the boys as they tried stealing the ball, and dunking the ball into the hoop perfectly.

The boys stopped dead in their tracks as they were in complete shock. They couldn't believe that Jazmyn and her moves were really THAT good.

"See! Told you I'm going to become a famous basketball player when I grow up!"

Suddenly, the teacher had called out that it was the end of recess.

All the kids throughout the playground started to run to the teacher, forming a straight line to go back inside.

Cynthia, one of Jazmyn's best friends, was standing in back of Jazmyn in the line.

"Why did they look so shocked over there? Did you do a magic trick or something?"

"No. I just showed them that I can be just as good as them in basketball. They didn't believe me. So, I proved it. Just like my daddy said to do."

Cynthia and Mariah are Jazmyn's best friends. Cynthia's mom and Jazmyn's mom have been best friends since high school, so it automatically made the two girls close.

Jazmyn and Cynthia met Mariah in first grade. The three girls have been super close ever since.

"Do you want to come over after school today? I was thinking maybe we can work some more on my three pointers. I need more work on those."

Jazmyn informed Cynthia. Cynthia nodded and smiled.

"Yeah, sure. Then we can ask your dad to bring us for some ice cream. Your mom said I could sleep over tonight since it's Friday night."

"Great! That sounds like the perfect plan."