By the time they had gotten back into the party, with Leslie and Fred branching off to do something that no one wanted to know the details of, the other guests had begun dancing, well at least some of them. More than a few were lingering around the corners trying to chat over the loud music.

"You know, Melody. I specifically remember not inviting you." Melody scoffed at James.

"You invite all my friends and expected me not to come?"

"I only invited Ty and Gavin. My mom invited Zoe because of her parents, Fred invited Leslie for obvious reasons, and Gavin invited Theo because he needed a plus one." Ty met eyes with Gavin and his expression fell, which naturally went unnoticed by the short brunette.

"What can I say? I needed someone to snog, and everyone knows Hufflepuff has the best kissers." Theo scoffed.

"That's not true."

"It is." Everyone simultaneously replied making the blonde shrink back grumbling under his breath.

"That's besides the point, Potter. You still could've invited me." James sighed.

"You specifically told me last year not to invite you again if I didn't want chaos, and I don't." Melody scoffed.

"I only got a tiny bit drunk and snogged three of your cousins!" Gavin raised his hand.

"And me."

"And your best friend."

James sighed before pinching the bridge of his nose, he knew having Melody there would only cause more revolt and his mind was already tired enough, it didn't need more chaos.

But getting rid of Melody was of no use.

"Well, you're already here. So enjoy the party I guess." Melody smirked, already turning to jump right into the party.

"Great! Where's the alcohol? And also that pretty French guy from last time." James sighed again, already regretting his decision.

"You mean Louis?"

"That guy."

"No clue." Melody sighed.

"Oh well, Dominique will have to do." Zoe gave Melody an odd look.

"You don't remember Louis' name but you remember Dominique's?" Melody shrugged, grinning at her best friend.

"Always remember the name of the best kissers. And Dominique is fucking amazing. Anyways, toodles losers!" Melody began to skip to the other side of the room where no doubt Dominique was hiding from the already dancing couples.

James looked over at Theo with a pleading look, making the Hufflepuff boy sigh.

"Fine, I'll keep an eye on her."

"Thanks, mate." Theo briefly flipped James off before disappearing into the crowd.

Gavin broke the brief silence with a groan.

"Great, you just got rid of my dance partner." James shrugged.

"Just dance with Ty." Gavin's eyes sparkled with excitement while Ty's grew wide in panic.

"You heard the birthday boy, let's go dance." Ty shook his head, fighting back the blush that was rising as Gavin took hold of his hand.

"I don't dance." Gavin didn't wait for him and began dragging him.

"You do now Tyronne!"

"Don't call me that."

"You love it." Ty grunted, but didn't contradict the excited boy any further.

And just like that James and Zoe were left all alone, the loud music vibrating all the way into their bones. With Zoe silently bopping along to the rhythm.

"I feel like it'd be rude if I didn't ask you to dance." Zoe chuckled.

"That's the worse invite to dance I've ever heard, Potter." James sighed before holding his hand out to Zoe, his palm face up.

"Dearest Zoe, would you do me the honour of dancing with me? A mere mortal wizard completely awestruck with your beauty." Zoe rolled her eyes, trying and failing to hold back her grin.

"Now I'd be the rude one if I rejected the birthday boy." James slowly intertwined their fingers as Zoe placed her palm upon his.

"You could've just said yes." James spoke as he dragged her up to the dance floor.

People kept bumping into both of them which forced them to have their bodies pressed together to avoid any further foot stepping.

The music seemed to slowly lower in volume until it was all quiet as soon as their eyes locked.

Without even thinking Zoe started to lean up, her hands guiding James' so they rested against her hips.

Their noses brushed together, James' breath suddenly hitching as he tightened his arms around her body.

But just as their lips were about to brush together...

A loud bang broke them apart.