Chapter 25

KEDAR

'Pranjal and the rest of my batchmates saw me walk out of the cabin and assumed nonsensical things. News reached Suchitra Mam and she spoke to Karthik and me. I didn't want Karthik to face troubles because of me. I had a crush on him, he didn't.

So...I accepted the truth in front of her. But although Suchitra Mam understood the situation she asked Karthik to no longer continue teaching in those tuition classes however spoke to one other ex-colleague of hers who owned a tuition centre too so Karthik could join there.

It was honestly handled very maturely by Suchitra Mam because she understood it wouldn't be easy for me or Karthik to be in the same premises after this and neither would it be healthy for both of us to be facing each other especially because I was still feeling guilty for what I felt for him.

Suchitra Mam sat and explained me that at my age m crushes are a normal thing and that I am lucky to have a teacher like Karthik who didn't try to manipulate me into something inappropriate as according to Mam the age in itself is so tender that just for having some attention, some adventure, teens can do anything without judging if it's right or wrong.' she said and I smiled and said

'Your teacher was indeed right...even Karthik for that matter...I really appreciate both of them for showing you the right path!!!' I said wholeheartedly.

But she quickly jumped in saying 'True...But it isn't really easy to accept and move on at such a tender age when you get constantly bullied and wronged for being honest.' she dryly chuckled and I looked at her. She continued

'By the next day... half the school heard about my crush for my tuition teacher. Which eventually got various versions of the story, some of which were most disgusting which even reached to the extent that said I was trying to seduce Karthik of getting better marks in my tuition classes, some went to the extent to call me a fluizy who could simply sleep around to with a teacher too so that I could discover what was sex.' saying a few drops of tears quickly rolled down her cheeks.

'Heyyyy Shhhhh... come here' saying I pulled her closer by wrapping my right hand around her shoulder and she hid her face into my chest. I didn't like the way she was crying. How I hope I could go back and shut those shitty mouths who bullied her.

Bullying is never cool. Neither is gossiping or spreading wrong things about one's character. I felt terrible for what she had to go through at such a young age especially when she already had a lot on her plate. Study pressure, Mother's demise and now this.

'I got asked out lewdly by my classmates, my seniors and one day when a PT teacher tried to make a cheap comment upon my character is when I decided I can't continue studying here. I changed my school. However rumours didn't leave. Wherever I went they followed.' she said and I looked at her asking

'You never tried to confront anyone?' I asked out of concern

'I did... Avanthi did...she even went to the extent to complain to the dean who in return told us that they tried punishing kids but how many can they punish. It's like an epidemic. It's spreading and not stopping. That's when we decided that I will do my college in Bangalore. It was peaceful there for 2 years but in engineering I met a few of my schoolmates and the rumours were back.'

'You never met Karthik after that?' I asked hesitantly

'I did...when I was in engineering he visited our college as an HR for hiring freshers. He was there for 3 days. But I wouldn't see his face and he would try to look at me. But I always looked down but  the last day he stopped me and told me that I haven't done anything wrong and that anyone can have feelings for anyone and it is fine till you keep the boundaries of a relationship and also don't malign the respect in the relationship.