Chapter 1

PRAKRUTHI

'Hold this from here Anita ...And pin it here...' I heard Paro aunty telling my bridal dresser Anita aunty who looked a little annoyed by her interference but I was relieved. I wasn't feeling comfortable with the way she tried to pin my saree, I felt exposed.

This wedding isn't happening as per my dreams and expectations least that I expect is I be comfortable in this fancy dress they have planned for me.

'Comfy Pakku?' Paro aunty asked and I slightly smiled and nodded.

She took one look at my face and then she passed me a hesitant smile and placed a small black kohl dot behind my ears saying 'You look beautiful Amana (sweetheart)...but I am asking this again. Are you sure?'

But before I could answer that question I heard her mother in law and my cousin Pattu's grandmother speak up

'What do you mean by she is sure Parvathi? What are you trying to do? She is a matured girl unlike your daughter Prarthana get it?' saying she came infront of me and said

'You are doing absolutely the right thing Prakruthi. I didn't expect such maturity from a girl who was doing her education in a forward city like Bangalore but I am impressed with the upbringing your father Ananth gave you. Honestly the way he spoke at Pattu's wedding...I just did not like him at all.

He is Parvathi 's brother so I tolerated his misbehaviour then..and when I was told his daughters are going to get married to Prarthana's father in law's brothers children I was worried for both the families but after seeing how well you handled the situation...I'm proud of you child. I mean no one would say you lost your mother when you were 10...so much maturity for a child without a female presence in life ' she said and I couldn't stop my tears.

She is right. I miss my mother a lot today. I don't know if what I'm doing is right or wrong but all I know is I want to see my father happy. I want to see him relax. I am tired of seeing him take the pressure of our studies, career and now our marriage.

I wonder at times what is more complicated. Being born as a girl? Or being born as a girl to a father who can go to any extent to fulfill his children's dreams. My father was no less. He didn't have a cape nor could fly in air but had a superpower to keep all of us happy although it killed him from within.

'Mai (mother in law) please...Pakku may not have a mother but she definitely has a aunt and even she loves her a lot...right Pakku?' she asked cupping my face and I smiled and nodded. I blinked continuously to get rid of those traitor tears.

Just then Devdas Uncle...my cousin Prarthana's father and Parvati aunty's husband walked in and asked...

'Are we ready to go Pakku?' and I hesitantly smiled and nodded. My mother's brothers were not in touch with my family every since my mother died. They even refused to come to this wedding when dad invited them and it's an uncle's duty to take a bride to the wedding altar, so Devdas Uncle and Paro aunty will do these rituals. Initially when Dad had told me none of my uncles would join the wedding both me and my sister felt bad. My brother Pranay just shrugged off saying it's for best. He is only 17 but is much more matured than all of us combined at home.

I stood up and took one last look at myself. My heart was beating in my mouth. What was I doing? Should I really do this? Should I maybe back off like my sister did? Is this all worth it???

I had a hundred questions running in my head when Paro aunty simply spoke up...

'You know you can still back off right Pakku? We will still support you!!!' she said but suddenly my eyes fell on the old man smiling and welcoming guests and making relatives sit down, offering them cold drinks and snacks. My eyes filled up again recalling what I had seen approximately 4 hours ago...