seventeen

september 27th 2015

y/n pov

it was late september so the inside of the cabin was quite cold, even more outside. I was collecting some wood for the fireplace we had in the living room as I headed for the shed.

it was raining and I hadn't bothered to get my coat. so instead, I ran. I almost slammed the door but grabbed it when I remembered that it was faulty and would lock from the outside if closed. I placed a cardboard box in the doorway to stop it from fully closing and went to collect the wood.

"do you need any help?"
wanda said from behind me as I sighed.

"I thought I told you to stay inside, maximoff, there's lightning"

"I know but I got scared"
I stared at her for a few seconds to find that she was completely serious.

"alright, hold these"
I handed her two chunks of wood while I held several others. we turned to the door and I paused when I found it shut.

"why is the door closed?"
I think I was in shock at that point.

"what do you mean? because I closed it?"
I dropped the wood onto the floor and ran my hands along my face.

"what? what's wrong?"

"that doors faulty, it locks us in if you let it close"
her eyes widened.

"so what? don't tell me we're stuck in here?"
I looked out the window and shrugged.

"I won't tell you then"
she slapped her forehead and groaned.

"I can't believe this. im going to die"
she panicked, trying to pace in the very small room.

"don't worry about me"
I grumbled.

"has this ever happened before? how did you get out?"
she stared at me with eyes full of hope.

"no this has never happened before because I was not dumb enough to close the door behind me!"
she turned quickly and laughed. I think she was also in shock.

"sorry if I was trying to help out!"
we inches closer and close. our ears grew red in anger, temporarily keeping us warm.

"I asked you to stay inside where it's safe and warm! now we're both going to freeze to death"
she didn't say anything, suddenly quiet as she stared out the window. I sighed.

"im sorry, wanda. I shouldn't have shouted. im just scared is all"

"no it's okay"

"we're going to get out of this, wanda. I promise. im your bodyguard, you know?"
she nodded sadly, sliding down the wall and pulling her knees towards her. I sat next to her.

"besides, I have to pay like a shit ton of money if you die and im saving up for a new car, so..."
I smirked and she relaxed, laughing a tinsy bit.

I could see my own breathe in the cold air, a gust of it exiting my mouth in a puff.

"tony and steve are coming over tomorrow. they'll know we're here once they know we aren't in the house. we just have to hold on until then"
we sat in silence, the only sound being the rain outside.

I felt wanda jump beside me slightly at the lighting struck outside.

"shit, maximoff. you're shaking"
I removed my blazer quickly, laying it over her shoulders but she stopped me.

"take it, it'll keep you warm"
her fingers brazed against my hand and she gasped.

"no, you're freezing. you take it"
I grabbed her wrist to stop her flailing about and have her a stern look.

"I won't ask again, maximoff"
she quietened at the tone of my voice and took the blazer.

"I just don't want you to die"
she argued, half heartedly.

"the contract says that I should always put my life before yours in any dire situation"

"fuck the contract, I need you"
I held my breathe slightly.

"it's all fun and games until I lose my job and you get some dickhead of a bodyguard who will be nowhere near as fun as me"
I boasted and she smacked my shoulder with a laugh.

"wanda, I need you to know..."
I started intently into her eyes, gripping her shoulders with a stone cold face.

"if I die, I give you permission to eat me"
she laughed again at that and I was glad I had made her happy for a moment.

"im sure you'll taste lovely"
she pretended to bite my finger that sat still on her shoulder and I pulled away, laughing at her childishness.

"speaking of, im starving...what's in here?"
she spot the fridge and had gotten up to open it.

"no! don't"
she laughed at my seriousness, assuming I was joking but I was already contemplating the thought of having to kill her if she found out.

"why?"
she squinted her eyes in curiosity but moved away from the small fridge. I racked my brain for something I could use as an excuse. something came to my mind and before I cold stop it, it has already left my mouth.

"there's...marijuana... in there?"
I attempted with a grimace.

"you have marijuana in your fridge?"
she didn't seem to judge me, only confused and slightly amused.

"yes...I like my marijuana cold"
she gave me a tilted half smile before she sat down again, the look of confusion still evident.

"right. cold marijuana. what else do you like?"
I hummed for several seconds. I didn't really like much.

"piano. I guess I like the way it sounds. I used to play professionally when I was a child"

"wow, really? that's amazing! play something  for me one day?"

"course"

"we can use this opportunity to get to know each other, come on. we take turns thinking of questions and we both answer them"
she leant her head down to look into my eyes as they had been covered by my hair.

"alright...um...your biggest fear?"
we both stared out the window as the moonlight shone in.

"I don't know, maybe being alone. I hate feeling like im on myself"

"you don't have to be scared of that anymore, idiot"
I leant my head on the wall and rumpled her hair about. she grumbled a thank you.

"what about you?"
we continued looking at the moon, wanda had stopped shivering.

"I don't know...heights?"
I experimented but she didn't believe it.

"seriously? bit boring. there's got to be something else?"
it was a while before I answered.

"I think maybe...I'm scared of myself in a way. what might become of me if something bad were to happen. I don't know what I'd do if you left me, wanda. I think I'd kill myself"
I didn't dare look at her but I could see her staring wide eyed at me as I watched the stars.

"that's what im scared of"
I felt her sneak her hand into mine and I was forced to look into her eyes.

"I won't ever let that happen. we can be each other's bodyguards"
we both smiled goofily at each other.

"thanks, idiot"

——————————
word count- 1187

GIVE IT TO ME GIVE IT TO ME