Chapter Three

I pull up my other hand to the steering wheel, squeezing it tighter as we drive out of the city into one of the surrounding suburbs of Chicago. Violet reaches over and touches my arm,  smiling at me with affection and tenderness, the sun shining bright on her face. She's all grown up now, but her features still reminisce of the child she was, pure beauty and innocence.

"It's going to be okay, you know. I'm here for you." Her words reassure me once more that I'm not in this alone.

We're heading to the house of Tim's parents, a place I have tried to avoid even on one of the better circumstances. Heading there now just makes it all the more dire, but if anyone knows anything, it would be them, the enabling parents that have allowed their son to become this monster.

I've never confirmed whether or not they knew of his behavior, but how could they not? There were countless times they came over, where I would have swelling on my face, bruises on my arms and legs. They've avoided asking for the cause of my injuries, showing that they would rather plead ignorance to the vicious reasons behind it. They couldn't confront the fact that their only son, which they have coddled and entitled since the day he was born, could be doing such an unspeakable thing. Therefore, they remained oblivious, hiding behind their uncertainty.

A hard gust of wind slightly shakes the car, suddenly causing me to feel an involuntary chill down my back. It brings a longing for a warmth, a warmth that I've experienced very recently.

Taylor has offered to come along, but I rejected the idea of him meeting Tim's parents. Especially after a night such as that night, I need to sort out my feelings. He is no one more than a stranger, granted that he has seen me more times I've seen him, but a stranger nonetheless. Yet, I have allowed myself to familiarize my skin with his touch, invited such ludicrous rendezvous when that couldn't be the farthest thing from priorities.

I had awakened, tucked under my comforter instead of his arms, my towel still wrapped around me, untouched, only leaving a note on my nightstand.

Jasmine,
I couldn't help but look at you while you slept, your breathing completely exhausted from everything you have been through. I carried you to your bed, wishing I never had to let go of your delicate body from my arms. I wish I could have changed you from your damp towel, but that would have been disrespectful of me. Then I realized I wanted to be that towel for you. Absorbing all of your agony, your tears. And in return, I just want you to see the positivity that your life has to offer. The light in this darkness. Because Jasmine, you are the light that this life needs.
-Taylor

I had washed the royal blue towel, folded it, and tucked it in the drawer of my nightstand, placing Taylor's note on top of it. I can't understand why he is so drawn to me, but I will have to keep my guards up.
This feeling that I have for him is of no importance at the moment, no matter how adamant it is. I can't let myself get sidetracked. I have to step away and build a wall to my emotions because my heart can only tolerate one emotion right now.

We pull up to the driveway that circles the massive two story house with perfectly manicured lawn lined with little shrubs of pines, replacing the summer flowers that were once there. It looks like something straight out of a magazine. It feels so...artificial.

Approaching the glass French doors, we ring the doorbell and are greeted by the Walkers, a couple who is merely in their sixties.

Truth be told, I am quite surprised that a butler hadn't greeted us, yet the owner had opened their doors to us themselves.

I meet the familiar, yet alienated, faces. Shannon Walker makes no expression, as her overly-botoxed skin resisted her every movement. Followed by her slim figure, large breasts, and designer clothes, she could be cast for the Real Housewives of Chicago. The man standing next to her is visibly older, chunkier, with glasses resting on the bridge of his nose. He has long given up on his appearance, letting his wife take the spotlight.