05. Hockey. Movies. Ice Cream. Truth or Dare?

WARNING: This is a mature book, so just know, there's some intimate scenes in this chapter

WARNING: This is a mature book, so just know, there's some intimate scenes in this chapter. You have been warned.

"I never really did understand the prevalence of hockey," I uttered casually as I took a seat on one of the first rows of benches besides Chase. He was currently taking photos of the hockey tryout.

"Oh, hey, Max," Chase said, momentarily glancing at me with a smile on his.

"So, whatcha you doing?" I referred innocently to his camera and his calibrated snaps here and there.

"Um," Chase's face contorted into a concentrated frown when he flicked through some of his shots he took and then sheepishly smiled, "Im actually a member of the yearbook club. Thought I'd take some school pictures of the team. Plus," he winked, "looks good on my school record."

I nodded, "Can't argue with that."

A moment passed and I mindlessly watched as two buff heads clashed into each other, like two rams head butting, both opposite teams opposing for the hockey puck.

I grimaced. That's gotta hurt.

"Your brother's playing, right?" Chase mentioned, gesturing to the current status of my brother Ty who was sitting anxiously on the benches.

"More like watching from the bench, and trust me, I'm gonna be hearing about it all night long," I groaned, only imagining it now. Chase chuckled slightly at that, shaking his head. And then he cleared his throat, giving me an odd once over.

I frowned, "What?"

His eyes widened slightly as he began taking more pictures. "Nothing, nothing. I just, I heard you and Gabe were gonna hang out tonight."

"Where did you hear that?" I asked, somewhat confused.

Chase lifted a brow, "Uh, Gabe, actually."

"Oh," I realized, slightly flustered by this news. It didn't prevent from showing on my face, however, as Chase took keen notice of my sudden behavioral change.

"You didn't know?" He laughed.

I shrugged, "Guess it was gonna be a surprise. So much for surprises."

"Sorry," he didn't sound sorry at all. In fact, if I didn't know any better, I'd say his voice was sort of clipped.

I rolled my eyes, "We'll, doesn't matter because I hate surprises. So it worked out."

"I'm just curious," Chase suddenly approached with an odd edge in his voice as he pivoted his attention into me, his elbows propped on his knees, "Are you guys a thing or. . .?"

I wanted to laugh, but I ended up scowling. "No. I barely know him."

Chase nodded pensively, turning back to the play field. "Cool."