Keep your family close, keep your frenemies closer

Start from the beginning

Nara looks broken and as I take my hand off the sword, Mom flings out a knife, barely missing Nicasia. 

She smiles. "Oops, I missed. That's your first warning. Your second strike, I'll make sure to maybe knick your daughter. Your last warning? I'll make sure I embed it deep in your shoulder."

"She won't miss, either" I say and as they both storm out of the throne room, Dad looks at me with blossoming relief. 

"I should go and talk to Prince Castien now" I say and Mom nods as she sits down and drinks deeply from her filled glass of wine despite the early hour. 

"I'm sorry I roped all of you into this" I say as I leave and I can see Dad shake his head. 

"It's not your fault, darling" he calls as I leave the room and I smile as I leave.

 Aurae 

Castien is still growling about 'that bitch of a crown princess' hours later and I smirk into my wine glass as I take a sip as Dad glares at him. 

"You're lucky the Queen didn't throw you out onto the first step after you insulted her daughter and the Queen of Elfhame. I should have Aurae be your replacement for the stunt you pulled last night." 

There's a knock at the door and as the Crown Princess enters, Castien stops pacing and Dad looks up. 

She bows her head. "Your Majesties, Your Highnesses. I was hoping I could talk to the Crown Prince. Alone." 

Dad dips his head. "Of course, Princess." 

Rhea nods at Castien and as they leave the room, Mom bursts into laughter. 

"I must say, I like the Duarte blood that runs in their women. As much as I love Castien, what he did last night is unthinkable. Who knows? Perhaps two Duarte women will hand his ass to him in 24 hours." 

Tialha giggles as she looks out the window and then at Dad. 

"How long are we here for?"

"We'll stay until tomorrow morning and then we'll depart for home once again" he says warmly and I smile. 

"I wish we had more time to explore Elfhame. It is majestical here. There's an energy that's just not back home" I say softly and Mom smiles. 

"Perhaps we could ask their Majesties if we could stay for a few more days to explore Elfhame." 

"Perhaps." 

Castien 

Her.. 

Her walk is practically silent as we walk down the hallways, guards bowing as we pass by and as soon as we enter the garden, she turns to me. 

"What is your problem with me?" she asks exasperated and I turn to her. 

"You are a frustrating woman" I growl out and she laughs loudly. 

"Frustrating? You're the one who underestimated me as soon as you stepped into the room! You saw a princess in a gown curtsying towards you and took advantage of me. You believed that I was just a princess who had learned to be proper and pretty all the time. You decided to offend me in front of my father and in the all seeing eyes of my court." 

"You thought I was a threat as soon as I stepped into the room. I saw your attitude change in seconds. You looked welcoming but as soon as you saw me, you were ready to launch into a bloody war for your people if I even looked at them the wrong way" I whisper-hiss and she rolls her eyes. 

"I can't help if I am cautious for my family. My family doesn't really have a good reputation for throne room executions. I don't need to lose my brothers and my father or my mother in one night" she snaps and I turn away to take a deep breath. 

"When I tried to warm the tension between us, you only used my compliment to fuel your ego to make yourself feel better. It's petty and it's disgusting. You couldn't act like a formal diplomat for three seconds, you had to preen and show your feathers to my entire court, showing off your trophies and shining your golden armor" she says as she looks away. 

"Do you have a grudge against me?" I ask, exasperated and her eyes snap to mine. 

"Of course not. I hold a grudge that you influenced one of my closest friends and then took advantage of her, but I never held a grudge against you that entire night. Not once. This morning I had to explain to my ex-friend and her mother that they would take the leave with dignity and I maybe just lost one of my closest allies for when I become Queen. Because of you." 

"If you hadn't taken away her right to your inner circle, maybe everything would still be fine" I murmur and she shakes her head. 

"You came here trying to find your future queen or wife. I'll tell you one thing; I will not give up my throne for a preening peacock like you. Only to be cast off to the side as a jewel in your crown. I refuse. I will rule my country, as will you. But do not take the future queen of the undersea. She holds many knives you do not know" she warns before she walks away and I'm left to remember her words. 

A/n: I'm really keeping this story enemies to lovers, aren't I? Hehehehe.... you have no idea what's coming. Trust me. You don't.