THEM - Chapter 42

Amelia couldn't help but look for him in the lobby. She knew that they'd probably left already but she still hoped. The lobby was empty except for a couple checking in at the desk. She made her way to the restaurant and started to scan the table to find her friend. As she couldn't see her, she decided to just pick a table and went to sit down. Minutes later she was greeted by Veronica's bubbly voice as she sat down next to Amelia with a wide smile on her face.

"So my dear.. what should we do today to kill off the hours until we meet the boys?", Veronica asked as she picked up the menu and started looking for something that suited her.
"I need to stop by a store to pick up a card", Amelia replied as she copied Veronica and browsed through the menu.
"A card? For what?"
"I've made a playlist and I want to give him a card with the link to the list."

Veronica stopped looking at the menu and gently pulled the menu Amelia was holding out of her hands.
"You're giving him a card when you can just send him a text with the link?", she asked in surprise.
Amelia gave Veronica an annoyed look and pulled her menu out of Veronica's hands and started reading it again.
"Rude", she muttered. "And yes, I want to give him a card. I think it's cute to give him a card with my handwriting.."
"It is cute!", Veronica said in defense. "I just want to make sure that you get his number!"
"I will get his number tonight!"
"You better! What songs are on the playlist by the way?"

Amelia put her menu down and tilted her head as she pouted her lips and looked at Veronica.
"That my dear is between him and I!"
"Hmmmm", Veronica replied. "It's personal you say?"
"It is..."
"Can you at least give me one song? Pleeeeease?"
Amelia started laughing as she saw the expression on Veronica's face, her eyebrows raised and her lips pouting.
"I can give you the first one?"
Veronica nodded in excitement.
"Please do!!"
"So.. it's All of the stars by Ed Sheeran."
"Never heard about it. What's it about?"
Amelia suddenly blushed.
"Well... it's about two people being away from each other but they look at the same stars in the sky, and if they both look at the horizon at the same time they can see where their horizons meet. It's about falling in love with someone and then having to part..."
"Oh my god.. I am already crying Amelia", Veronica whined as she took her friend's hand.
"It's from a movie", Amelia explained.
"Which movie?"
"The fault in our stars..."
Veronica let go of Amelia's hand.
"Isn't that the movie where...?"
"It is.."
"No Amelia.. that's too sad. For crying out loud! You can't pick a song from that movie!"
"But it's a great song and I find it comforting to think that even if he and I will be miles away, we can still look at the sky and look at the same stars."
Veronica let out a sigh.
"You're such a romantic! My god... looking at the same stars. Even my heart starts to ache when I listen to you!"
Amelia laughed.
"To be honest, it gets worse as the playlist goes along. I tried to find all the songs that explain the way I feel about him..."
"You're amazing Amelia, you know that right? I am sure he will love it..."
"You think? I hope so. And then I thought both of us could add songs to that playlist and as time passes we have that as a memory of our time together..."
"Stop it Amelia! You're killing me with your cuteness!", Veronica spat out. "Why didn't I think of that?"
Amelia laughed again.
"Why? You feel that you need to do something for Felix?"
Veronica shook her head.
"No! We're in agreement about what we are to each other. But still.. I mean, he is so freaking cute and funny and... I don't know!"
"Are you telling me that you...", Amelia said in surprise only to get cut off by Veronica letting out a groan in frustration.
"Argh! No! Yes! No... Damn it! I just don't want this to just end!"
"You have his number.. just stay in touch", Amelia suggested.
"But what if he doesn't want to?"
"You'll never know if you don't try! Just send him a text once we get back and see if he replies. If he replies, then great. If he doesn't.. then fuck him!"

Veronica raised her hands and placed them over her face.
"Aaah.. stupid me!", she moaned. "Stupid, stupid me!!"
"You're not stupid. You're human... Let's do this then. Why don't you just ask him tonight if he wants to stay in touch?"
"But what if he says no to my face.. I would be so embarrassed", Veronica moaned.
"If he says no to your face then you say thank you for being honest and then you decide if you want one last night with him or not...", Amelia said in a comforting tone.
Veronica took her hands away from her face and gave Amelia a grumpy stare.
"Fine!", she spat. "I'll ask him! And I am stealing your idea about the playlist!"
"Are you going to create a playlist for Felix?", Amelia smiled and Veronica shook her head.
"Nooo. I am stealing the idea for future use. Maybe for Felix in the future, or for someone else. It's a great idea and extremely cute!"
"Well, be my guest!", Amelia said and took Veronica's hand in hers. "And thank you for being incredibly weird and for being my best friend."
"You're welcome! Let's order now. I'm starving..."