HER - Chapter 2

We came back to the hotel at 4 am in the morning. Both of us were so tired that we just threw ourselves in the bed not minding to take off makeup or even brushing our teeth. Nine hours on a flight and going directly to a bar had taken its toll on us. But we had a great time.

One of the things that made me envious of my best friend was her social skills. I always felt a little bit awkward going to bars and nightclubs but Veronica had no boundaries when it came to talking to people and finding new friends. At times I would ask her why people never came up to speak to me, when she was approached every ten minutes. She would tell me that I had a rather intimidating look on my face. "It's not that you look evil, you just have a strong posture", she used to tell me. "You are beautiful, but you don't see how you change the atmosphere of a room when you enter. You don't see that people notice you, you just continue walking with your head held high keeping your eyes focused on where you are going. That makes you unapproachable, almost untouchable...."

I've thought a lot about that from time to time. Sometimes I've even tried to notice the reaction of others when I enter a room. I know I get attention and I am a little bit proud of being noticed but I am still not sure on how to make myself more approachable. I've tried to soften my face and smile. It hasn't made much difference. I still find myself alone in a corner when Veronica is laughing and talking to people left and right. "You need to practice in the mirror", Veronica told me once when we were getting ready to go out. "Here, stand in front of me", she said and led me to a mirror. "Look at your height, you are tall. Look at your eyes, they are fierce. Green and piercing. You are an intense, strong and curious person. Your eyes show that. Look at your curves, my god darling.. and the dresses you wear and how you do your dark hair..." She settled her hands on my hips. "Are you even aware of how amazing you look? And you really think that anyone has the guts to come talk to you with all of these features and those strong eyes? You are a fucking amazon Amelia." She let go of my hips and stroked my cheek. "And those lips. Seriously, when you have red lipstick like you have now, even I want to make out with you.. but I wouldn't dare as you are looking at me with those eyes." 
I started laughing at her words.
"See", she continued. "See how your face softens when you laugh. Now you are approachable. It's not enough to just smile. The smile has to reach your eyes baby".

I woke up with the worst morning breath ever and makeup that had been smudged. My head was pounding and I tried to remember how much I had to drink the night before. We had gone to a rooftop bar and then continued to a nightclub recommended by some guys that Veronica had spoken to. I sighed and rolled over to face my friend only to find her side of the bed empty. I heard the sound of the shower coming from the bathroom. She was already up getting ready for a new day.
I slowly made my way out of the bed and went over to the windows pulling the curtains apart. The city was wide awake and I stood there for a while looking at the ant-sized people far below going about their business. Tonight was the night of the concert. Me and Veronica had spoken about it the night before while at the rooftop bar. What to wear? Where to go before the concert and where to go after. I wanted to make sure that Veronica had the night of her life even though she didn't enjoy the music.

The sound of the shower stopped and shortly after the bathroom door opened and a fresh and smiling Veronica stepped out.
"Morning sweetie", she smiled as I turned to face her. "Shit Amelia. You look like hell."
"I am sure you didn't look much better when you woke up", I replied with a salty smile.
"I looked worse. Now get into the shower and I will order up some breakfast. All good?"
I nodded and dragged my lazy ass to the bathroom.

I had planned out the entire day for us. We took a cab to Battery Park and went on one of the boats cruising under Brooklyn Bridge, around Liberty Island and then back up Hudson River to 40th Street where we went off the boat. We had lunch at a small burger bar close to Times Square and then went back to the hotel to rest and get ready to go out to dinner before the concert that was scheduled to start at 8pm.

"You ok?", Veronica asked as she layed on the bed looking at me while I was looking through the wardrobe.
I sighed. "Yes, but I am not sure what to wear tonight..."
"It depends on what you want out of the evening my dear", she replied.
"All eyes on me I guess"
"You always get that, you just don't notice", Veronica said as she climbed out of bed and joined me by the wardrobe. "You have your unique style Amelia. Just go with it", she continued and pulled out a red dress with big white polka dots. "This one with the red shoes..."
I looked at the dress. It was one of my favorites and one I had done myself. I was tight at the top with thin shoulder straps, a low neckline and a wide skirt. It did show off my curves and represented my love for 1950's fashion. Adding the red patent leather shoes, adding another eight centimeters to my height might do the job.
Veronica cupped my cheek and smiled.
"Then you curl your hair so it frames your face, wear dark makeup around the eyes to bring out the green and then match the dress with bright red lipstick.. my god you will be a killer..."
I couldn't help but laugh.
"That could do it..." I took the dress off her hands and threw it on the bed. "You know me so well my dear."
"Well, if you want to get noticed tonight, this is what I recommend. And who knows, maybe you will get attention from the stage as well. Don't tell me that's not why you purchased those shit as expensive front row tickets."
"Hey! Nooooo! I just thought that if we were going we might as well get a good view of.."
"Oh stop it Amelia!", she interrupted. "I know you have a celeb crush on that old guy."
"Old guy? He is ten years younger than me. Are you crazy?"
"I thought you didn't know that much about them?"
"I thought you didn't like them at all, how come you know that he is the oldest", I argued.
"How come you know I was referring to him"
I threw my hands in the air.
"Fine! You win!", I sighed. "Yes, he is really cute but most of all he is the main producer and I admire him. So kill me if I think that a guy that is younger than me is hot and talented."
Veronica smiled.
"I've done some research. It's just eight years between the two of you. That's not too bad."
"Veronica, are you insane? Where is this even coming from? First, do you really think that some guy in a world famous band would even notice anyone in the crowd? Second, with all the fans that are crazy over them would he even look twice at a fan? Third, Me? Seriously? I am over thirty years old. I live in Sweden. A celebrity crush is one thing but to even consider that...
Veronica put a hand over my mouth and gave me a devilish smile. "I bought tickets to the fan signing event..."