HIM - Chapter 29

She was resting her head against my shoulder. I could feel her become more and more relaxed as the car made its way through the busy streets. From time to time, I tried to look at her, but every time I did she let out a small sound of discomfort so eventually I stopped trying and just enjoyed having her close.

I thought back on the interaction between the two friends at the restaurant. I understood Amelia's reaction. I would have hated it if someone shared things about me without my knowledge and even if I really liked Veronica, she seemed to lack a filter. Pretty much like Felix, I thought to myself and couldn't help but smile. Sure, being called a Jackass wasn't the greatest thing, but it was said with a smile and once she had realized that Amelia was hurt she had turned to call me Chris instead.

What had concerned me more was the expression on Amelia's face when her headache kicked in. The tension around the eyes, her clenching her jaws. I could see that she was in great pain and all I wanted to do was to take the pain away.

As we were getting closer to the hotel, I picked up my phone. One thing was sure. I did not want to bump into anyone.

Me: Hey!

Han: Hey.. how is the date going?

Me: We're heading back. Amelia has a bad headache.

Han: Bummer! Felix and the other one?

Me: Veronica. They're still at the restaurant. I will send the car back to pick them up.

Han: Still on for dinner tonight?

Me: I don't know. Depends on Amelia

Han: You're whipped

Me: I'm concerned. But I need your help!

Han: Shoot!

Me: ETA in ten minutes. Can you make sure we don't bump into anyone?

Han: Like management?

Me: As an example

Han: Sure! Use the back entrance. I'll be there!

Me: Thanks Han

Han: NP

As the car pulled into the alley at the back of the hotel, I could see Han standing by the door, discreetly dressed in black with a cap pulled down as far as possible. He fired off a smile and was just about to give us a loud greeting when the driver opened the door, but after seeing the expression on my face he bit his lips together. I nodded and he nodded back.

Amelia was sleeping, her head still resting on my shoulder. I motioned with my hands for him to help me and he crawled into the car and held up her head as I slowly shifted. Together we got her out of the car without waking her up, and I lifted her in my arms. Han gave me the thumbs up and waved for me to follow him. None of us had said a word but as I went past the driver I let him know to go pick Felix and Veronica up. Amelia let out a quiet moan as I spoke, making me stop and stare at her for a second. Han stopped as well just by the door and gave me a questioning look. I just shook my head and continued walking through the door that Han was holding up.

He was always five steps ahead, looking around corners. As the elevator doors opened, he had me stand on the side so I wouldn't be visible in case someone unwanted was inside and as we were to step out, he did his best to block me as he made sure the coast was clear.

Once by her door, he helped search for her room key.

"This is one of the worst things you can do.. looking through a woman's bag without her consent...", he whispered and I had to bite my tongue so as not to break out in laughter.
"Shhh Han.. but no, there are worse things you can do", I replied as quietly as I could, a smile playing on my lips.
"Just saying", he smiled and held up the door. "I'm just gonna drop the key on the floor and you can pick it up later.. take good care of her now..."
I gave him a nod and a wink, making a mental note to thank him later on.