38 - daylight

"my love was as cruel as the cities i lived in
everyone looked worse in the light
there are so many lines that i've crossed unforgiven
i'll tell you the truth, but never goodbye
i don't wanna look at anything else now that i saw you
i don't wanna think of anything else now that i thought of you
i've been sleeping so long in a 20-year dark night
and now i see daylight, i only see daylight"

**READ CH. 35 + 36 + 37 BEFORE THIS
ONE!**

***PLAY THE SONG WHEN YOU SEE THE ASTERISK FOR A PEAK READING EXPERIENCE.***

Nadine.

Harry and I filed the necessary paperwork shortly following the ceremony, once the excitement had calmed down.

After that, we were free to go. Leave the courthouse and resume our day like nothing monumental has happened; we're expected to leave like we haven't just changed the course of our lives by binding ourselves together for the rest of our lives.

Life goes on.

Blaire and Daphne took it upon themselves to be the official wedding photographers. Because of that, we've been on the steps just outside for upwards of half an hour.

"Okay, now just the girls and Nadine." Blaire shoos Harry out of the frame. He descends the steps until he's behind both of them.

"How about you sit on the steps? Andie and Lennon will sit next to you."

I bunch up my dress and sit on the steps. Blaire comes up and fixes my dress, making sure it lays right. Andie sits on my left. I can tell Lennon's a little hesitant, and perhaps camera shy, so I hold my arms out to her.

"Come on bug, you can sit on my lap, okay?"

She smiles and hops onto my lap. I wrap my arms around her and fix her dress. I hear Daphne take a few pictures of us as we adjust for the formal photo.

Once we're all set, I wrap my left arm around Andie, holding her nice and snug against me, and hold Lennon close to me with my right. We smile and both Blaire and Daphne are taking as many pictures as humanly possible.

My eyes focus on Harry behind them. He's smiling too, but there's something unreadable on his face.

It's reminiscent of love, though not romantic. That I'd recognise a mile away. It's more familiar. It's more content and proud, grateful–awestruck–than anything romantic.

He looks at us and all I can see in his eyes is comfort and warmth. Whatever he's feeling right now, it's strong enough to make him feel at home.

Home is people, not a place. I think that as I hold Lennon and Andie in my arms and keep my eyes on him. My home, my family.

"Okay, and now one–last one–with Harry too. And then we can go eat." Daphne gestures for Harry to join us on the steps.

Harry joins us again.

"Sit behind them, behind Nadine. Angle your legs, like, away from them," She points to her left. "This way."

He sits on the step behind me, leaning in close.

"Everyone, look up at me and smile," Daphne calls our attention.

We plaster the last of our happy smiles on our faces as we wait for her to tell us that we've completed the last picture.

"Got it."

I exhale a sigh of relief. I'd forgotten how much time it took to take pictures after your wedding. We stand, and together the six of us descend the stairs the rest of the way and head to my car.