37 - lover

"and there's a dazzling haze, a mysterious way about you dear
have i known you 20 seconds or 20 years?
can i go where you go?
can we always be this close forever and ever?
and take me out, and take me home
you're my, my, my, my
lover"

**MAKE SURE YOU READ 35 + 36 BEFORE THIS. AND IF ANYTHING ISN'T ACCURATE, HUSH.**

***AND PLAY THE SONG WHEN YOU SEE THE ASTERISK. I WORKED SO HARD FOR THIS FOR YOU GUYS.***

Nadine.

I thought there would be a wait.

That there would be people in front of us and we would have to patiently wait our turn.

There wasn't.

When we walked inside the courthouse, I felt as though the red carpet had been rolled out for us. It was a ghost town. An unusually barren government building, things I previously thought to be mutually exclusive.

It felt like a sign from the universe, that we were finally fulfilling our destiny they'd filled out for us a decade ago. We've stripped ourselves of our pride and stubbornness to realise that and the universe was rewarding us.

As the attendant walks us to the private room, sparingly decorated with marriage and congratulatory themed wall items to simulate a more traditional experience, I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

The waiting or the happening. Isn't that the question of the day?

We've done anything but wait because we've waited long enough. Yet, with every step, I can't help but feel as though a mandatory waiting period would be more beneficial.

I love Harry, and I want to marry him. That's not the issue.

I just can't help but wonder if a momentary pause on a day that's had none would've benefited us; a minute to catch our breaths and recognise the full scope of what we're doing.

On the other hand, if we needed it, we would've taken it.

"The officiant will be in shortly, if you just want to sit tight. As of right now you're our only appointment, so take as much time as necessary."

"Thank you."

The attendant leaves after that. Harry turns to me, excitement and anticipation manifesting themselves on his face through wide eyes and a bright smile.

"Not long now, Dennie love." He takes my hands in his. "Still want to do this?"

"Are you kidding?"

He lets out a faux, overly enunciated sigh. "Phew. I'm going to collect myself and go over... everything with my best man over there." He nods in Lennon's direction.

"And I'll do the same with my Maid of Honour."

The two of us break apart and head to our respective sides of the 'aisle.' I rifle through my tote bag and pull out the small, folded piece of notebook paper I'd brought with me.

In my hands is a letter, actually, technically two.

On one side is a letter I never sent him, dated two months after he left ten years ago.

On the other side is another letter I never sent him, yet this one is a little less than two months old. It was written before my birthday, before Finn, before all this chaos. I'd been too afraid to verbally express these feelings, so I wrote them down.

In my hands are the vows I will say to him during this ceremony.

Blaire excuses herself to go and use the bathroom as Daphne and Andie help me go over everything and make sure it's all perfect.