17 - treacherous

"i can't decide if it's a choice
getting swept away
i hear the sound of my own voice
asking you to stay
and all we are is skin and bone
trained to get along
forever going with the flow
but you're friction
this slope is treacherous
this path is reckless
this slope is treacherous
i, i, i like it"

Nadine.

"Thank you...for everything." Harry rubs the back of his neck as Andie says goodbye to Lennon. The two of us watch them, unable to look at each other.

"Like I said, it's really no trouble..." I suck in a pensive breath, trying to carefully articulate my thoughts before deciding it's not worth it. There's nothing I can say that would change anything. "Come on, peach." I hold my hand out for Andie.

She stops and looks up at Harry, grabbing my hand. "Happy birthday."

"Thank you, mila." He smiles down at her.

"Can we play soon?"

He nods his head. "So soon. Lennon will miss you too much." Harry lifts his gaze from hers and locks with mine–finally. And he winks.

My cheeks flush as I clear my throat, tightening my opposite hand on Millie's leash.

"You have my number so..." My voice fades, knowing he'll get the idea. "Happy birthday, Harry."

For a moment, I don't move. I don't want to leave, hell, Andie and I have been trying to leave for the past hour. I don't want to leave without even saying a goodbye. A proper goodbye.

Leaving means it's finally, actually over. I know I've been saying that for awhile now, but now it's actually here.

Yet, my moment of hesitation is fleeting. My desire of wanting him more than anything beats reason. I lean in and press my lips to his.

One parting kiss. One final kiss.

Against his lips, I sense not only his surprise, but also that he wanted it. I could practically feel the smile on his face as I pulled away.

"Ew, mama." Andie says, looking away and letting out a delighted giggle.

I roll my eyes, a blissful smile dancing across my lips. "Come on, my sweet." I tug her arm ever-so-slightly. "I'll see you around."

Harry nods his head, a dimpled grin that mirrors mine adorns his face. Lennon stands next to him. The two of them watch as Andie, Millie, and I retreat to my car sitting in the driveway.

It wasn't long before I'd gotten them situated in the car and we were on our way back home. Back to reality.

This morning was nothing short of perfect.

I'd woken up before Harry, and in my still-guilty state, I wanted to do something more for him. Lucky for me, Lennon and Andie had also woken up and were just absentmindedly killing time playing in their room with Millie.

This resulted in me carefully sliding out of bed (so as to not wake Harry beside me), and quietly walking down the hall and into their room. I collected the littles after they told me they were hungry for breakfast, and a lightbulb went off in my head.

We were going to make him a surprise birthday breakfast and bring it to him in bed. Lennon and Andie were more than happy to help.

The three of us were almost successful in completing the meal before he woke up. Keyword: almost.