19 - the moment i knew

"and it was like slow motion
standing there in my party dress
in red lipstick
with no one to impress
and they're all laughing
and asking me about you
but there was one thing missing (missing, missing)
[...]
what do you say, when tears are streaming down your face
in front of everyone you know?
and what do you do when the one who means the most to you
is the one who didn't show?
[...]
and that was the moment i knew"

Harry.
13th Year. (Senior Year; Graduation)

I can't believe it.

After four fucking years, I can finally say I've graduated.

Whenever I thought about my graduation, I always thought of myself alone.

Sure, I'd have my family–my mum and sister–and my friends, but it'd just be me. That is, until I met her.

My Dennie.

The light of my life for the past three years, and there's no doubt in my mind that she'd hold that position for the time being. Quite honestly, I can't see myself without her.

Call it naivete, call it love, call it whatever you want–I don't care.

She's...everything to me. She makes me a better person–a better version of myself. She encourages the best of me, not out of obligation or because she feels like she should, it's just who she is.

If one thing about Nadine is true it's that she's always inspiring someone.

She inspired me to pursue my dream of becoming a writer, so much so that she helped me fill out the application for NYU's intensive creative writing program.

Fortunately–or unfortunately (depends on how I'm feeling that day)–I was waitlisted there. Didn't have the heart to tell her I just barely missed the mark, so I told her I was rejected altogether.

It's okay though. I'm set to go to a university not far from hers, which I'd prefer over any great creative writing program any day.

Because as long as I've got her, things will fall into place.

Is that statement factual? No. But do I believe it to be true? Well, let's just say that as long as I've got her, it'll at least feel like things will fall into place.

I absolutely despise when people think just because you're young you can't have these big feelings of love or make promises that you'll always be together.

Who are they to say that? They don't know everything, so how could they possibly know that?

I've known Nadine was it for me since I saw her for the first time four years ago, back before we'd even gotten to know each other, but she doesn't know that.

"Harry? Where've you gone too?" My mum's voice tears me from my thoughts and as I stare back at my reflection in the mirror, a large smile has spread on my face.

I stand in my bathroom, originally to just make sure I haven't ruined any part of my appearance for today and grab my final dress.

I double checked that my black dress shirt was buttoned correctly, that I hadn't missed a belt loop, and that I hadn't creased my black dress pants either.

Once I'd decided that it was all up to par, I grabbed the complimentary black robe from its hanger, careful not to take the cap with it, and slid it onto my arms, fixing the way it lays. I've yet to put on the additional cap, but mostly because I don't want to mess up my hair before the pictures.