26 - enchanted

"this is me praying that
this was the very first page
not where the story line ends
my thoughts will echo your name, until i see you again
these are the words i held back, as i was leaving too soon
i was enchanted to meet you
please don't be in love with someone else
please don't have somebody waiting on you"

Nadine.
11th Year. (Sophomore Year; Halloween.)

I can't do this.

It's Halloween.

It's too much.

The reflection staring back at me isn't what I'd been expecting at all.

I'm gonna kill him.

When I suggested we go as Juno and Paulie Bleecker for Halloween, I was joking.

It started with a chair–one residing in a movie theatre, to be exact.

We'd just seen the movie for the first time together, and I had made some one-off comment that it was my new favourite. I only said it because I'd been wiping my tears at the time and I didn't want him to know that I'd been crying. Who would've thought a coming-of-age movie about teen pregnancy would tug so hard on your heartstrings?

Harry kept the conversation going, agreeing with me and saying that it quickly snatched the top seat of his comfort film list. And who was I to stop there, when, I so desperately wanting to be in his good graces, continued to praise it, saying that the set and costume design was perfect and that I absolutely adored it.

Who says that?

I think we were at his car when it finally slipped out. When I said that it'd make a great couple's costume.

But I didn't stop there.

No, I doubled down on it. I said that it would be my ideal couple's costume.

Who–of sound mind and body–openly admits something like that to the person they're not even official with yet? Apparently, I do. And I wasn't even telling the truth.

Right after the words came tumbling from my mouth like an inbound freight train on its way to derailment and disaster, the subject changed. We were done exchanging thoughts and light-hearted jokes about it. The moment had passed.

Cut to two weeks later when he told me that he had a surprise for me.

Imagine the look of surprise on my face when he revealed a maroon shirt with gold vinyl lettering and design identical to the one Michael Cera wore in Juno.

"You're joking." My jaw hangs wide open in complete disbelief.

"Do you hate it?" His shoulders sag, and with it, so does the shirt and his excitement.

I shake my head profusely. "No, no. Not at all. It's just...not what I was expecting."

"You're sure?"

"Yeah, yeah." I play it off. The initial shock has begun to fade into admiration. Harry really did all this for me. Because I said I liked the movie. He not only heard me, but he listened. "I can't believe you managed to get it so accurate."

"My mum helped me, yeah. Gemma too, actually. Took me to see the movie a handful of times to make sure we got it right."

My heart suspends itself in my chest. I can't believe he did this for me. I can't believe anyone would do this for me.