Chapter 4

Chapter 4

He's locked in a room in the infirmary. The only people who have stopped by are the doctor, Noah, Charlotte, and the alpha Julian has learned as one of the kings gammas and Noah's mate. Chase.

He was knocked out for a bite as they had to take him with a fight. The doctor bandaged him up while in that time. Now that he is awake again, no one can get close to him. This is why all five of the previously mentioned stand on the other side of the room, watching him. Any time they get close he snaps at them and snarls. It's been like this for a few days. Noah and his mate, because how dare he try to act caring after all this time. And Charlotte, because she's aligned with the man who has betrayed him and wants him and those like him dead.

Chase sighs, "I've got work to do, so I'll head out. I'll send Corbin down."

Corbin. He must be talking about the second of the three gammas. All big packs that surround the royal pack. Another head alpha. He snaps and growls at the statement. Chase only rolls his eyes.

"Will you be okay?" He turns to Noah who only nods, not taking his eyes off of Julian.

Charlotte scoffs at him. "Are you forgetting that I'm a warrior of the royal pack. I can fight him if I have to."

"You're a messenger. A runner."

She only folds her arms and gives a hmph. Julian paces before tucking into the covers, tail covering his snout but low enough he can still watch the room. He stares him down, Noah. From the corner though, he can see Charlotte repeatedly check her phone. She keeps mumbling about where Corbin is.

She finally lets out a groan. "I've held it long enough! I have to pee!"

Without another second she sprints out the door and to the bathroom leaving just Julian and Noah in the room together. A horrible decision really considering how much Julian has wanted to have a go at Noah over the last several years.

Noah shuffles across the room. In response, he gets a warning growl. The ex-friend simply raises his hands in surrender as he takes a seat closer to Julian. He watches Julian as the wolf huffs and turns his head away.

"He's your mate."

Those words cause Julian to snap back to the other male omega. He narrows his eyes at him. He didn't want anything to do with Julian in high school, but now here he is trying to carry on a conversation as if he didn't abandon him when he need him most. And it's not like Julian wants to talk about his asshole of a mate. What a cruel joke by the gods.

"I saw it in his eyes and how you responded." He sighs as he tips his head into his hand. "You would have never responded like that. You would have fought him."

When Julian makes no move to respond, Noah continues, "but maybe that's not you anymore. It's been so long and you've been through so much again that maybe you've changed."

If he had stuck around he would know. That's the only thing that Julian can think to respond with. Not that he voices the words to the guy across from him.

"I'm sorry. For blowing you off and ghosting you." Silence. "You're family, Julian. That was shitty of me to turn my back on you because. . . Because I was scared the other omegas would push me out too. I wanted to make my parents proud and give a name to the small packs, but instead I turned my back on the people I care about. I hurt you. And you don't need to accept my apology, but I needed to admit my wrong doings to the person who they hurt the most."

Damn straight he doesn't need to accept his apology. But looking at him, maybe he can stop growling at the poor luna. That much he can do in exchange for his admission. Maybe the scent of the little blonde is causing him to be soft or maybe it's the hormones from his heat. There is a conflict between wanting the other to suffer and feel the pain that Julian had. But, at the same time, Julian just wants some sense of normalcy and comfort. He doesn't know anything going on or where he is or who everyone is. The only person he truly knows to some deep degree is Noah.