Chapter 16

"Taste." Sebastian hardly gave you any time to respond before shoving a spoon into your mouth. You sent him a glare as you considered the flavor, trying to focus on the sensation hitting your tastebuds rather than your urge to slap his stupid face.

"It's good, but too mild to have enough impact," you stated, already putting together another blend of spices.

Not to mention, we should start thinking about different seasonings too. But what would work well with each blend...? You frowned, contemplating what you'd tasted so far.

"It doesn't help that Soma has no starting points for us to base this off of," you grumbled aloud, stirring another batch of curry. Your eyes roved over the other pots littering the tables as you tried to muster some form of inspiration from nothing.

Your train of thought was interrupted as another spoon of curry was unceremoniously shoved into your mouth, and this time, you really did slap Sebastian's face.

"Ugh, what was that combination?" You quickly grabbed a glass of water to wash down the taste. "It was way too heavy."

"You wanted impact, did you not?" the demon smirked, cheek still red from your slap. He looked too amused for your liking. Your lips twisted into a frown before you clicked your tongue and turned your back to him.

"I'm going to grab Soma and ask him about which components we should change. I think we have enough combinations to narrow down our options now."

Sebastian was only further amused by your disgruntled sulking.

"Hm~ Very well."

Ugh.

~-~-~-~-~-~-

"EH??? You already made all of this??" Soma exclaimed once he saw the curry-filled kitchen.

"That's right," you smiled. "So, why don't you have a taste and let us know where to go from here?"

"Um. All of it...?" he meekly questioned.

"All of it."

If he whimpered, you didn't hear it.

"V-Very well. I will do my best!" Soma declared, starting to sample each curry that Sebastian served him.

You scribbled a few notes whenever he made commentary, eliminating combinations of spices from your list and noting which spices seem to appeal most in scent and flavor. You paid little mind to how lifeless Soma was slowly becoming. Hm. Maybe Ciel and Sebastian had rubbed off on you more than you had thought.

"Okay! Next, we have cardamom and garlic," you announced cheerily. Your smile widened with excitement when you saw how positively the prince reacted to the newest combination.

"This...! This curry is very close to Agni's curry!" Soma exclaimed.

"You did it! Mr. Sebastian! Miss (Y/n)!" The servant trio cheered.

"But it's still different," Soma added with a frown. "The spiciness and flavor are similar, but something's missing..."

"Something?" Sebastian raised a brow.

"I don't really know how to explain it. It's like Agni's curry has more depth... That's it! Substance! There's not enough substance in your curry!" Soma exclaimed.

"Substance?" You brought your hand to your chin in thought. "I suppose that makes sense. There isn't anything tying all the components together and therefore nothing to elevate the flavors mixed in the curry."

"But to find such an ingredient would be difficult," Sebastian sighed.

"It seems that it'll be a difficult fight. How's it going?"