Prologue

Important A/N:

This fic will be canon divergent, following the manga instead of the anime, so no anime-exclusive characters will be included. However, because I love so many characters, I will be attempting to lower the death count. (So technically, this is a fix-it, I guess?)

A lot of details will be changed from the plot, meaning that the general idea of the later arcs are the same, but how things go down and the reasons why are totally different. For example, the Undertaker will have very different motives for creating the bizarre dolls. That's because there's no Phantomhive twins in this story. There's only our Ciel.

Ciel is NOT going to be a love interest, but rather, a little brother figure. His relationship with the reader is purely platonic. I just don't really feel comfortable writing about any romantic relationship between him and her considering so many young adults (and non-humans) will be potential love interests. In case you were wondering, the reader is around Edward/Soma's age.

Because I'm not entirely following the plot (which requires more planning), and I'm spending a lot of time on my other story, the updates on this fanfic won't be very fast, so don't expect too much please.

Disclaimer: I do not own Black Butler (Kuroshitsuji) or any of its characters. Those all belong to Yana Toboso.

~-~-~-~-~-~-

"Please, what did I do?! What did I do?!" you cried, tugging at the sleeve of the woman dragging you across the floor. "I'll fix it, I swear, don't throw me out, please!"

Your heart pounded rapidly in your chest as she turned and fixed you with a dark glare. You knew the matron hated you, but to hate you to this extent... What on earth did you do wrong? The next thing you knew, you were tossed out of the run down building, your knees thudding against cold stone and your palms scraped by the gravel beneath you.

"Just get out of here, you freak!" the matron of the orphanage screamed, spittle flying from her lips. "I'm sick of it, you were born a freak of nature is what you did! Unnatural! Damned to hell!"

You scrambled to your feet, rushing forward in a desperate attempt to get back through those doors, to have a roof to live under. The matron sneered, slamming the wood in your face.

"No! Please! I- I'll do anything!" you pleaded, pounding harshly against the door, despite knowing it was futile. Blood had begun to gush from your knuckles. You collapsed to the floor, cries tearing through your throat as you begged and screamed.

Darkness began to fall as dusk settled in. The evening chill made you shudder, and you slowly got to your feet, stumbling through the streets of London as you tried to find shelter.

A painful grip on your wrist made you gasp, and you whirled around to see an older man staring at you with a nasty smirk on his face. The smell of alcohol on his breath made you wrinkle your nose on reflex.

"Hey there, little girly. Watcha doin' out here at night?" he leaned in dangerously close, his fingers beginning to bruise your skin. "Why don't you come with me, hmmm? Quite the pretty thing. With eyes that shade of purple and hair that dark, you would definitely sell well," he leered, fingering a strand of your hair.

Your eyes widened and you immediately tried to pull away. It didn't do much. After all, you were only six. Or at least, that's what the matron had told you. The man dragged you off into one of the nearby alleys, throwing you to the ground like a ragdoll. You fearfully backed away from him, trembling as he began to step closer. You felt along the ground desperately, hoping to find a means of escape, but came up short.