Chapter 12

A/N: Yo! Guess who couldn't resist throwing Edward in again? Anyways, I'm trying to catch up on all my stories right now... I'm not too sure about how this chapter turned out, but oh well. I'll edit it for the next update if I catch mistakes somewhere.

~-~-~-~-~-~-

You woke up early this morning to begin preparing Ciel a birthday cake. He didn't particularly like celebrating his birthday, especially if it was made to be grand occasion. After that day three years ago, he was always thrown back to those terrible memories on this date. But, you still liked to insist that it was treated as something special. It was the day he was born too, and you believed that he should remember that instead of the other things. So you always made sure to celebrate in order to get his mind off of all the misery. This year, the urge was especially strong, what with the recent incident with... Madam Red.

Setting the cake you'd baked on the counter, you began to cover it with white-chocolate frosting, piping flowers using white-chocolate ganache colored by blueberry extract. With the leftover blue icing, you made swirling patterns along the sides of the cake. Once that was done, you topped the cake with some blueberries, chocolate leaves, and chocolate curls, making sure that the decorations were simple (to suit Ciel's taste) while still visually satisfying. Elizabeth would be coming over today, after all, and she would be more pleased if the cake was at least aesthetic, if not cute.

You smiled at the finished product before you made to leave the kitchens. However, you paused at the doors. Was it really safe to leave that cake there with the chaotic three running around...? Yeah, your answer was a decidedly big 'no,' so you took it back to your room to keep until later.

In your room, you shifted through your shelves and tidied up your desk, only to frown when you realized one of your books was missing. It was the one with Edgar Allen Poe's works. And then you took a glance at the time and freaked out. Wait, is Ciel even up yet?!

You raced down the hallways towards his room, nearly bumping into Sebastian.

"(Y/n)?" he raised an eyebrow.

"You haven't woken Ciel yet?" you whispered frantically.

"No...? Is something the matter?"

Before you could reply, you heard a pained whimper, and you were immediately rushing into the boy's room, Sebastian following.

"Young master, wake up," Sebastian frowned, reaching out to shake the boy when he woke with a start, training the barrel of his hidden gun against the demon's forehead.

"Don't—Don't touch me...!"

You and Sebastian stiffened in surprise, before you spoke as calmly and soothingly as possible.

"Good morning, Ciel."

You tried to keep your movements slow as you inched towards the bed. His hand was still shaking, but you didn't touch him. Instead, you sat at the edge of the bed. Subtly, you forced his brain activity to calm down, and his shoulders slowly grew less tense. Sebastian caught on to your actions and casually prepared the boy's tea while you finally reached out to rub circles into the boy's back, making sure not to block his range of motion from the front.

"Did you have a nightmare?" you asked softly. There was a short silence before he sighed, panic finally discarded.

"Mhm..."

Sebastian handed Ciel the cup of milk tea he had just finished preparing, holding up a familiar book. A certain book that had been missing from your shelf.

"It's no wonder that you had a nightmare, reading Poe's work before bedtime," Sebastian admonished.

"I'm free to do whatever I please," Ciel scowled, taking a sip of his tea. "What's the schedule today?"