Tales From Truro part 4

Brian's POV

Benji was drowning. Roger, Benji and I had gone down to the beach again and Benji was swimming around. It was adorable and as I took a video of him I immediately realised that he looked like he was struggling. I thought that maybe he was just swimming strangely but when he started to dip under the waves and was floating further out, I knew he was in trouble. I knew that going after him could mean horrible consequences for both of us, but I didn't know what to do! I couldn't just leave my puppy to drown! Before I could decide, Roger started running into the water.

"No, Rog! I'll call the coastguard! Please don't!" I shouted at him, but he just shrugged at me and dived into the water.

"Don't worry Bri, it's not that far out." He yelled back, swimming out towards Benji. He made it there relatively easily, and for a second I was hopeful. Then Roger looked at me with wide eyes and my heart dropped.

"Bri...current.. coastguard...!" Was all I heard of what he yelled to me, but it was enough to jolt me into action. I fumbled for my phone and called 999, before telling them that my boyfriend and dog were drowning in the ocean by one of Truro's beaches. They told me that they'd be on their way and they told me to stay on the phone and keep them updated.

10 minutes later and I'd lost sight of them. They must've been caught in a rip current. I told the lifeguard as such and I soon saw a couple of orange boats going out after them. I was emotionless as I sat down on the sand and stared out at the ocean that had eaten my dog and my boyfriend.

I wasn't sure how much time passed before there were crowds gathering. Word must have spread and people were worried. Everyone we were staying with must've appeared at some point as I had been hugged by many familiar, crying faces. I didn't take notice of it though as I just stared out to sea and waited for some news.

When there was some news, it was at twilight and the sun was setting. It was a gorgeous sunset and the sky was painted in various hues of reds and oranges, and the reflection on the water was magical. I would've admired it if there wasn't a big orange boat coming to the shore, and men with white helmets and yellow lifejackets walking over to me.

"I'm sorry, son. They didn't make it." The words barely registered before I fell backwards and lost consciousness.

I woke up with a gasp and I jolted forwards, sitting up frantically. Benji was asleep on the pillow next to me and I could see Roger asleep, naked, on top of his bed. He'd claimed it was too hot and insisted that he slept without clothes and on top of the covers. My racing heart calmed down slightly as I realised it was only a horrible nightmare. One that left me shaken and afraid.

The memories of the dream were vivid in my head and I couldn't help the tears that stung my eyes. I tried to stifle my cries but it was no use, the nightmare had been too vivid and too realistic. Sobs ripped through me as I hugged my knees to my chest and desperately tried to think of something else. It was fruitless, the fact that the nightmare could actually happen made me terrified of the beach. I pressed my face into my knees and tried to cry as quietly as possible.

Apparently, I wasn't very successful as a pair of arms soon wrapped around me, startling me. My head shot up and Roger's concerned eyes met mine in the low light. Benji was still sound asleep, his presence only slightly comforting.

"Shh, shh. What happened?" Roger cooed to me, one of his hands running up and down my back sweetly.

"Nightmare." I sniffled, burying my face in the crook of his neck. His smell calmed me a little, but my shoulders were still shaking as I cried.

"Ohh, love. Do you want to talk about it?" He offered, and I shrugged. I wasn't sure if I could form a coherent sentence in that moment.

"Soon?" He continued and I nodded as I clung to him. Talking about it would probably make me feel better. I was grateful that he was silent and just let me cry, as I really couldn't talk. Soon enough I pulled away from him and wiped at my eyes viciously. Benji was twitching in his sleep and he almost seemed to have a smile on his face, which made me feel a lot better.