Chapter 22

Hinata

I didn't think I would see him this soon. Maybe years down the line shopping with my grandchildren, but not this early. Not today ... Why today? Why now as I have accepted that he wasn't coming? Now that I have accepted Naruto's proposal. As soon as I felt his presence in the village, I jumped to the roofs and made my way to him. I felt his aura getting closer to here, but I thought I was just being delusional again. Yet here he was, staring at me speechless. After all this time he has nothing to say?

"Ahh" I wince in pain while holding my forehead. I overused my Byakugan. I can still barely see, but I have been training with my byakugan, even though I shouldn't.

Naruto grabbed my shoulder looking intently at me. I didn't even realize he was here. "Stop using your eyes. Let them heal." He whispers.

"Hina" I have missed my name on his lips. I snap my head up in his direction making direct eye contact with him. He was reaching out towards me, but I took a step back.

"Why?" I ask again. Yet he still said nothing. He opened his mouth as if he knew the words he wanted to say, but nothing escaped his lips. Disappointing. I needed something, a reason, a feeling, a something. Why would he leave me for so long? Is it me? Am I overreacting? Am I not important? Are my wants and feelings invalid? Is it too much to want an explanation?

"I think I know why duck butt finally showed up!" Naruto exclaims with so much enthusiasm. He must be so happy to have his long lost best friend here now. My eyes never left Sasuke. "You heard of our engagement!?" my face dropped at his words.

"Engagement?" his face completely changed.

"We agreed not to tell anyone but Hinata can make an exception for you." He squeezes me. "Just don't tell anyone." The smile never left his face.

Fuck.

Sasuke's eyes stayed with me. He had the audacity to look betrayed. If he came back to me, or never left me, this would have never happened. I hate how he is looking at me. I never wanted this ... well I have always wanted to be married to Naruto. I should make the most out of it. I have already cried and mourned for Sasuke. When i Thought I would be okay and the heartbreak was over, here he stands. He has already complicated my life enough. I won't let him continue to fuck with me

I lean into Naruto's embrace. "I'll always make an exception for you Uchiha-san. I appreciate you keeping this a secret." I say putting on a polite smile.

I want an explanation so bad, but now is not the time. Hopefully with this news, Sasuke will go back to whatever hole he crawled out of.

"We can throw that engagement party now that Sasuke is back in town!"

"Of course! I'll plan everything sweetie. Don't worry about it" I say finally breaking eye contact with Sasuke to look longingly at Naruto.

"I never do when it comes to you" He says, kissing me on the nose. Sasuke is practically fuming. "Except that one time you vanished for months! I was worried half to death. Crazy thing is..."

"I bet you two have a lot to catch up on..." I say interrupting Naruto before he starts to connect the dots. Naruto hugs and kisses me goodbye. I could feel Sasuke's eyes shooting bullets through the back of my head. I couldn't turn around to look at him, because he would have seen the tears escaping my eyes. Instead I took off into the night to go back home and cry myself to sleep for the first time in weeks. Why Sasu? Why now?

...

"...In conclusion, I don't know what to do. I never thought life would be this hard. Without you, it's only harder." I look up at his pale motionless body. "I wish you were awake to tell me what to do. You always have great advice and know the right things to do." I get up from my chair and sit at the edge of his hospital bed. I hold his hand. "Ten Ten possibly misses you more than me. She visits very often. Almost daily. I know you don't want to disappoint father, but love is rare. I know you love her. I see how you look at her. Same way I look at Sas.."