I then hear some shifting around on the other end before Chris says, "So you and Layne...."

"Me and Layne," I sigh, though a smile slowly appears on my lips.

"Are you two dating or just having fun?" Chris then asks me. I rub my right eye, not sure of how to respond. "You don't have to answer; I'm just curious."

"...I don't know what we are," I confess.

"I mean, that's fine too."

"Is it?" I whisper, clearing my throat a second after.

"Um...well, it depends on what you want."

Shana springs out of her bedroom and sees me on the phone."Who are you on the phone with?" she asks me. "Layne?"

I send daggers toward Shana, mentally telling her to shut up.

"What do you want?" Chris asks me as Shana tiptoe backward into her room.

"Everything," I say as it was the first word that came to my mind.

Chris laughs softly, "That's a lot."

Realizing what I said, I quickly try to change my response. "I mean-" I shut my eyes, trying to think of a better answer. "I just want to be happy."

"Are you...are you not happy?"

"I don't know why I said that," I laughed, eyes suddenly welling up. Shit. I shake my head at nothing. No one. "I'm so happy."

Chris is silent for a couple of seconds. Damn. He must think I'm crazy. The nervousness in me urges me to go on.

"I love Seattle....I love frogs."

"Frogs?" he asks, humor tossing in his voice.

I stare at my bracelet as the dead frog flickers in my head. It's dead eyes. Dead skin. Dead breath. Dead. Something is seriously wrong with me...

"I haven't really seen them before until I came here. I'm in love with them....It's like...it's almost as if I was supposed to meet them."

"That's good, Andrea...that's good." I could tell Chris didn't understand a damn thing that was coming out of my mouth.

Layne flashes in my mind. I wonder if I was supposed to meet him as well...

~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~

From my bedroom, I hear someone knocking on the front door. Not wanting to get up, I yell to Shana to answer it. Almost like her life depended on it, her feet ran towards the door.

I turn the volume on my TV louder, not wanting to hear the sudden visitor. MTV plays popular music videos in front of me. I'm focused on a new Janet Jackson video until I hear soft knocks on my bedroom door.

I groan, getting up from the bed. The scent of cigarettes and cologne wafted over me when I yanked the door open. Layne stands in my doorway. Shit. Though I was a little excited to see him, I remember why I was pissed at him.

His blue eyes read something different. Literature I haven't had the chance to borrow from him yet.

"Hi," I squeak out in a dry voice.

"What's going on?" Layne straight-up asks me.

"What do you mean?" I ask, turning away from him. I walk back to my bed and sit on the edge. Layne comes into my bedroom and closes the door behind him.

"I mean, I haven't heard from you in days. How come you're not returning my calls?" I roll my eyes instead of answering him."Are you sick?"

"No." Looking down, I play with my fingers. Anger fogged my throat. I need to talk to him, but stubbornness keeps getting the best of me.