Liam's eyes went wide. "Cailleach? A Goddess spoke to you?" His face was pale and his eyes seemed to turn a deeper shade of green.

She laughed softly and rolled her eyes, "Yes, I've been visited by Goddesses and Gods before. It doesn't happen often, but I've learned to listen when it does. My heritage is Celtic, and you can't get much more Celtic than Cailleach. I didn't understand why she told me to go until I saw the weapons he was searching for. Those are powerful items and in the wrong hands they could cause catastrophic damage." She paused for a moment, watching his expression. "Am I scaring you, dear?"

"No, love, I'm just very surprised. You are far more wondrous than I could have even imagined. It's not every day you meet a person who converses with Gods and Goddesses knowingly." Liam leaned in and kissed her gently. "I know you say I'm not responsible, but I still feel I am. I'll cancel my trip so we can figure this out."

"I hate to make you miss work, but I would feel safer with you near me." She nodded, then continued, "Liam, why do you think Klen wants the sword and Cauldron? I didn't sense magic in him, but then again I didn't touch him." I guess I know now why Liam's touch is like electricity to me, she thought.

He leaned forward, looking at Rayne's notes. "Tell me about the objects. What can they really do? What do you know that isn't in the legends? If I can understand their true purpose, it might explain why someone would want them."

She knew he was right, but hesitated for a moment. She looked around the room, checking the spell, then began, "Fragarach is the sword at the beginning of what is now known as Ireland. It can kill anything - man, beast, even a God. Nuada was Elven Fae. He was a strong leader but with a cruel streak. His misdeeds are just as renowned as his honour. When the Tuatha dé Danann receded from the modern world, and Tír na nÓg went into the mists, the sword stayed on the island. It is secured with the vault of The Morrigan herself. Only she or her bloodline can wield it." Rayne looked down and tapped the drawing she had done of the Cauldron of Inspiration. "This is far more dangerous in the wrong hands. The Cauldron has a mind of its own and can twist the magic of the user just as it did to Cerridwyn. She tried to make her firstborn handsome and change his luck, yet instead, the magic twisted and led to the birth of her other son, Taliesin, whom most know as Merlin from the court of Arthur Pendragon."

Liam's eyes were wide, "Did you just say Merlin? As in The Merlin? I thought you said there wasn't proof that Arthur's court ever existed."

"Technically, I wasn't lying. There isn't any proof in this realm. Merlin erased all traces, only the stories and tales survived. I don't know where the Cauldron is now, but my grandmother said it was a simple bowl that looked like it had been dipped in silver. She told me how she had been taught to scry from her mother in that very Cauldron. Of course, I have no idea if she was telling the truth or just making up a bedtime story for a very curious granddaughter." Rayne looked around the room and noticed the walls shimmering brighter. "We should go. It isn't safe to stay in a sanctuary space too long, especially one out of time. If you don't mind, I think we might be safer at my place tonight. It's easier to cast protection wards there. Since you don't actually own the penthouse, it can't be fully warded. Although, I will really miss that bathtub," Rayne added with a sly grin, kissing Liam quickly. She rose to her feet and gathered the items from the table. "Filleadh." The silver door reappeared, and they walked through. Liam turned to see the door disappear and nothing but the window remained.

"Impressive, my dear, quite impressive. You may have to teach me a trick or two someday," Liam took her hand, leading her to the bedroom to pack a few things. Once they had gathered their belongings, they went to Liam's car and headed back to Rayne's tiny apartment.

They climbed the stairs to her apartment and unlocked the door. Liam asked if she preferred he take the couch or share her bed. She hesitated for a moment and asked if he was okay with the couch at least for tonight. She needed some alone time. He nodded his head in understanding.

They were both lost in their own thoughts about the situation at hand. They ordered a pizza and Rayne snuggled into Liam's chest while they watched old movies on the couch. Her eyes began to close, and Liam nudged her just a little. "Hey, go get some rest. It's been a long day. I promise I'll still be here in the morning." She sleepily kissed him and shuffled to her room. She closed the door and mumbled, 'chosaint', to raise her protection wards. This way nothing could get in or out. Both she and Liam should be safe for the night. Rayne was asleep almost the moment her head touched her pillow.

Rayne gasped as she felt someone touch her cheek and turned her head. A hooded creature stood mere inches from her face, a single bony finger skimming down her cheek. "He can't save you," it hissed. "He's helpless, he can't even save himself." The creature gestured to his left, his hand covered in rotting flesh and bleached bones. Rayne saw Liam kneeling on the ground, crying out in pain. She tried to run to him, but she couldn't move. "Let me go! Leave him alone! Liam, Liam!" she screamed. The creature moved closer to Liam and raised a large sword above Liam's head. There was something familiar about the blade, but before she could figure it out, the creature turned to her again. "You will be alone, always alone," the creature hissed and began to swing the sword. "Liam!" Rayne screamed out again, as loud as she could.

In the living room, Liam bolted upright. He heard Rayne's screams coming from the bedroom, and he raced in, throwing the door open. He saw her on the bed thrashing back and forth, but as he stepped into the room suddenly there was a blaze of candlelight all around. What the hell, he thought. He continued moving towards her bed, shouting her name. The closer he got to the bed it felt like he was walking in quicksand. Like his steps wouldn't keep giving him forward momentum. The glow from the candles became more intense the closer he got to the bed. It was as if something was trying to keep him back, but there was no one there except Rayne. He kept pushing forward until he reached the bed. When he climbed onto the bed and reached out for Rayne, the candlelight went out. He put his arms around her shoulders. "Rayne, Rayne, I'm here, it's Liam, you're okay, it's just a dream. Please wake up darling, please."

Rayne heard Liam's voice, but he and the creature were now both gone. She was alone in the blackness, just as the creature said she would be. She heard Liam's voice again, calling her name. She looked all around her but still saw nothing, slowly Rayne began to realize she was still in her bed, in her room, and at that moment she realized so was Liam.

Rayne opened her eyes, her breathing ragged, and looked up at Liam. He was okay, he was alive. She threw her arms around his neck and sobbed, "How, how did you get in here?"

"I heard you screaming, and I had to help. I'm sorry I came into your room, but I had to make sure you were okay. Although I will say the candle trick is pretty impressive."

She pulled back and looked into his eyes, wanting to ask him more questions but at the same time, she didn't know what to ask. Who was he to break through her protection wards? "I'm sorry," she said. "I'm not mad, the dream was just so real. Something was trying to kill you and I couldn't get to you. I was frozen and just kept screaming your name." She put her arms around his neck again and pulled him in close. He smelled of the earth - almost a mix of pine and patchouli. It was a very intoxicating fragrance. Her fear exhausted her and she suddenly felt very tired.

"Shh, it's all over now, just a dream. I'll go back to the other room and let you get some rest," said Liam.

Before he got off the bed, Rayne grabbed his arm, "Stay, please. I don't want you to go."

"Of course darling. However, it would be nice if I could lay down," he said grinning. She paused for a moment and realized she was sitting in the middle of the bed. She giggled, scooted over, and patted the bed as if to say that's your side. Liam lay down next to Rayne, pulling her onto his chest, stroking her hair as she fell back asleep listening to the sound of his breathing and heartbeat.   

Author's Notes: Some answers and some more mysteries.  Please comment, follow, and vote!