20. Deep, Dark Despair

As we continued to dance in Joseph's bedroom, his singing came to an end. And we just stood there, still holding onto each other, staring deep into one another's eyes. But I was the first to look away, now gazing at my shoes, experiencing various emotions at that moment, some being foreign. Then my mind wandered, thinking about Mary May.

"Hey, Joseph. What happened to Mary May's body?" I inquired, tears welling up in my eyes once more.

"John and Faith brought her just outside the bunker and buried her. They placed some whiskey with her—"

"It better have been her Johnnie Walker Red."

"It was." Joseph answered, placing his hands on my shoulders. "And they put one of your flannels under her head as a pillow."

And I had lost it again— I don't know how many times today. The tears fell out of my eyes like a damn sink faucet. All Joseph could do to comfort me was by hugging me; and at that time, I couldn't care less. A psychopathic, murderous cult leader that I had been determined to put in the slammer or kill for months, was consoling me. You may ask: how could that ever happen? Well, I don't know, I really don't. And it was so unexpected, it doesn't even feel real. It sort of felt like I was amid the process of dissociating. Every single thing that has happened recently: arresting a cult leader, killing my brother's cannibal that was the cult leader's older brother, slaughtering an entire cult with no remorse, the world ending, my girlfriend dying, and now that cult leader that I've tried to put in jail and kill is helping me, comforting me, and reassuring me that everything was going to be alright. It would be weird and near impossible if I wasn't dissociating and on the verge of insanity. Overall, it's a goddamn miracle that I'm still standing. But to be candid, I'm not sure how long I can survive after all I've been through; I've been to literal hell and back. Absolute hell. And somehow, I felt safe in my arch nemesis's arms...

Was this wrong? Because it sure as fuck didn't feel like it. It felt so... right. Joseph's body was molded into mine perfectly, like we belonged in each other's embrace. And that's when everything inside me had clicked. Something in me changed at that moment.

I raised my head up to look at Joseph, and smiled sadly up at him. "Thank you for being here for me, Joseph."

"Of course, Morgan." Joseph's ocean orbs twinkled, dancing with hope and happiness. "You're special to me, and I hate to see you upset."

Then suddenly, Joseph and I's faces inched closer to each other. Our lips were centimeters apart when there was a knock at the door.

Joseph sighed as we instantly pulled away from each other, three feet of space between us now. "Come in."

John opened Joseph's bedroom door and leaned against the door facing. "Dinner's ready. Faith cooked some broccoli and cheddar soup. Ohh... I'm sorry. Am I interrupting something?"

"No." I rubbed my neck, a slight blush on my cheeks as I looked away from the youngest Seed brother's prying, curious eyes. "You're n-not." I stammered, then pursed my lips in an attempt to not embarrass myself any further.

"Sounds great, John. We'll be there in a second. I'd like to talk to Morgan in private to discuss something important." Joseph stated nonchalantly, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Yes. I apologize once again." John bowed his head slightly at the Father and left, closing the door softly behind him.

"Thanks for everything, Joseph... And for comforting me; I really needed it. I'm forever grateful."

"It was my pleasure."

"This might sound stupid, but I— I feel really safe with you. Like... you're my safe haven when I'm in your arms."