4. One Night Stand

By nightfall, I made it to Mary May's bar and she was waiting for me; she was sitting on a barstool near the door and jumped up when she seen me.

"Hey Deputy! What can I do for ya?" Mary asked politely, her twang evident in her voice.

"You can call me Morgan." I smiled down at her. "Umm... would it be too much to ask for a place to sleep?" I questioned shyly, not liking to ask for help. "I just need a good night's rest. I haven't since Joseph's arrest attempt."

"Lord no. I live right next door here. I can give you a spare key." She replied tenderly. "Follow me." Mary shoved her hand in her pocket for her house key and went out the bar's front door, with me following behind.

Mary May led me to a small house beside the Fall's End garage; it had white siding with blue shutters. The home had an American flag hanging beside the front door and cute flowers on the porch, with a big tree in the backyard. It had a good view of Jerome's church as well. We both walked up on the quaint porch while she unlocked her house. When she opened the front door, the smell of vanilla and alcohol consumed my nose, and she allowed me to go in first. Her cozy home smelled just like her as I stepped into the cool living room. The air-conditioned room caused me to let out a sigh of relief from the hot summer heat outside. Even though it was nighttime and in Montana, it was still eighty-five degrees Fahrenheit (twenty-nine degrees Celsius).

"Welcome to my humble abode." She shut the door behind her and locked it. "You can never be too sure in a time like this..." Mary May cleared her throat. "Anytime you need a place to sleep, you don't even gotta ask. This can be your new home now."

"I truly appreciate this, Mary May." I shot her a small smile over my shoulder. "Could ya give me a tour of the place?" I asked, curious about what the rest of her home looked like, since I'd be staying here until my work in this county is done.

"Sure. I just hope you're not disappointed. My house ain't nothin' special. And um... the thing is— there's only one bedroom." She replied, looking down at her shoes in shame. "Times are tough... I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth. And this house was all I could afford."

"Hey, hey, hey. It's okay." I turned around and stepped toward her, trying to reassure her. "I can sleep on the couch, and you get the bed. Believe me, I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either... It just means you work hard for what ya have and that's all that matters. I mean... what happened to doing it all by hand? Cause when everything is handed to you, it's only worth as much as the time put in."

Mary May giggled at my words, "Well, I guess you're right, Morgan. And you quoted a Miranda Lambert song."

"I'm not surprised you caught that." I laughed as I placed my hands on my hips. "But um, I'm being serious. I can sleep on the couch. It's not the first time I've done it before... After college when I got my degree in teaching, I couldn't find a job so I stayed at my mom's sister's place for a few months until I got hired on by the Hope County Board of Education."

Mary looked shocked at what I just said, "You were a teacher? Let me guess, you either taught math or science?"

"How did you know?" I asked in disbelief. "Right on the money, honey. I taught algebra 1 and 2 to a bunch of ninth and eleventh graders."

"I fuckin' knew it! Ha!" She chuckled, clapping her hands together. "But alrighty, I'll letcha sleep on my couch. Just take a shower first 'cause goddamn you're all bloody."

I smirked at her response with a roll to my eyes. And after a few minutes, the tour of her house was done. It was just a one bedroom, one bathroom, one kitchen/dining room, and one living room. But it was good enough for me. I didn't care where I slept as long as it was cushioned with a blanket.