s i x t e e n

~ Intaadan fallin ka fiirso ~

Look before you leap

( Consider all aspects of a situation before you take any action)

MANDEEQ

Deeg, deeg, dame! There was nothing more comforting for Mandeeq than to have her hands moving. To hear the sound of wood and metal break and bend into any shape she desired, her body in a rhythmic trance but her mind, an ocean of worry.

It had been too dark to go any deeper down the ocean, and with darkness came untold danger that only Amana could navigate, but she wasn't here now. It was only Shermake, Zahi and Mandeeq.

Mandeeq letting her guard down allowed the group to be attacked by that warrior. So she suggested that they should find a light source that could guide them on their way. Mandeeq had Shermake ask some jellyfish to volunteer their time. Their bioluminescent glow was a perfect way to navigate the dark waves. That familiar feeling before she crafted something filled her hands, a feeling she has longed for greatly.

Gathering seaweed as a string and frames from old shipwrecks, Mandeeq, with her inventor spirit, got to work to build leashes so that the jellyfish would not escape from them. The leashes also tied them to Zahi, who would make sure not to lead them into an unknown place.

It was by God's grace alone that they were able to come out of that fight alive, and with new information too. The mermaid had told them the story of the Somali Nomads that travelled to the coast long ago. The two parties had put their weapons aside and decided to have a dialogue under the flagpole of an old boat eating sea snakes (that Mandeeq thought was definitely an acquired taste) while the warrior shared the origin of it all.

"They went where their camels would take them," the warrior said, grilling sea snakes under the mysterious blue flame that flickered brightly in the deep waters. The sight confused Mandeeq as fire under water was unheard of but she knew better than to question anything she saw after everything that had occurred.

"And for this small tribe, it took them to the ocean. Our kind has lived in these seas for as long as we've been conscious of our own existence. These waters are much like what you humans call a heart. Something you cannot live without. So, naturally we were wary of the humans that had begun to fish in our waters. Yet some mermaids were...curious." She glanced Amana's way, as if to liken her to the case.

"One day, our princess went into the shallow end of the shore, only to be caught by villagers. They carried her to the land, to be seen by the villagers who called her a demon. Many wanted to kill her, but others thought it was a hasty decision."

The warrior touched a trinket embedded in her ear. Mandeeq looked at the emerald green jewel and could tell that this story was not just some far off tale, it was...personal somehow. She sat up straight and leaned forward to intently listen to this story the warrior felt an urge to tell.