f i v e

Aaddane eed ma waayo

~Human beings are never without a fault~

SHERMAKE

For as long as he could remember, Shermake loved mangos. The sweet tropical fruit was at its best when it was ripe. Each juicy bite filled his stomach with happiness. He loved them so much that he would often steal them. It was a hot summer day when he attempted to steal another mango. His father wasn't around and his brother was off fishing. Now would be the perfect time. He hid behind the basket that was filled with mangos and peeked over the edge. Coast is clear. He quickly snatched a mango and devoured it as if it was his first and last one. Just as he was reaching for another, a tap on his shoulder caused him to jump in fear and the mango dropped from his sticky grasp.

"I have found our cambe thief. Should I report my discovery to Father?" Tawfiq teased him. His big brother stood tall and proud, wearing a white guntino and his hair in braids.

Shermake wiped the sticky juice from his mouth. "You scared me! Sometimes, it's okay to make noise when you walk, you know!"

"Well then I would miss the opportunity of catching the mango thief!" His brother's hazel eyes crinkled. "How many have you devoured?"

Shermake glared. "I've only eaten one."

"Yet you were reaching for another." Tawfiq observed, a dimpled smile matching his words.

"I won't do it again. Just don't tell Father." He pleaded.

He knew that if his Father found out, things wouldn't end well. A faint memory of his cat hits him. He hasn't forgiven his Father for that and he doesn't think he ever will.

His brother set his small net filled with that day's catch aside and sat next to him, playfully bumping his shoulder with his. "Okay okay, settle down mango thief. I won't say a word but you're going to have to ease on the mangos for a bit. I think Father is starting to notice our supply is dwindling fast."

Sharmake enthusiastically nodded his head and looked at his older brother in admiration. "Mahadsanid. You know, if you ate one and happened to share half with me, technically I wouldn't be breaking any rules."

Tawfiq laughed, the sound so comforting and rubbed Shermake's hair. "Whatever you say, walalkay iga yaraa."

I want some mangos.

The thought hit him just as he had opened his eyes, greeted by the sharp blue colour of the sea. Wait...the sea? Human instinct kicked in as he started to panic, thrashing his arms and legs around as if he were drowning. His lungs burned and screamed for oxygen that could not be found. His eyes shut as he fought to live.

"Shermake!" A distorted voice calls out. "Breathe." It tempted him.

No. He cannot. He will die.

"Shermake! Open your eyes!" The voice demanded again, this time accompanied by soft hands vigorously shaking his shoulders.