Duel

The damn clock tower.
Aelia hated the thing, but she stood by it as Celaena walked out of the castle followed by the last remaining champions. The air was brisk, and she had to pull her fur cloak around her. When the champions stepped to the white chalk line, Aelia sat at the table adjacent to the councilmen with Dorian next to her. When the last of the councilmen arrived, the king stood. The crowd quickly grew silent. Aelia could feel Celaena's nervousness grow. Chaol gently nudged her forward and the champions stood in a line before the king.

The king clarified that they would duel to a position of sure death, but no further. The champions nodded their understanding, but Aelia could sense some of their intentions as counterintuitive. The champions dispersed and Cain and Renault were first. They bowed to the king, then bowed to each other before the king allowed them to begin.

Aelia had seen both men fight during training, but it seemed that Cain had improved since the beginning. Dead champions as a result. Chaol and Celaena were talking as the fight went on, and the duel lasted until Cain punched Renault in the nose and pointed his sword at his heart.

Two minutes and forty-six seconds.
Aelia didn't clap with the others.

"A valiant effort."
Cain bowed to the king and left Renault on the ground. Renault kept his dignity as he rose from the ground, bowed to the king, and walked away. Celaena and Grave were next.
"We will begin in a moment. Prepare your weapons."

Aelia watched as Chaol pulled his own sword from his belt and handed it to Celaena. Celaena seemed to hesitate and Nehemia stepped forward and held out a beautiful iron-tipped staff. Chaol kept his sword and stepped back. After some hesitation, Celaena took the staff. Celaena worked the staff for a moment and Aelia let out a soft smile. It was almost calming to watch Celaena work the staff.

"Let the second duel commence."
Celaena and Grave stepped into the ring. Celaena held the staff in two hands and the slight smirk on her face made Aelia relax slightly.

Grave started the fight and Celaena easily dodged him. Celaena took calculated blows from Grave and quickly got in a punch to his nose. Blood trickled down his chin and he swore at her. He swung his sword at her, and it bent the middle of Celaena's staff. Aelia could hear the wood groan. She pushed him away and when he came to attack again, Celaena crouched and swiped at his feet. Grave fell to his back and Celaena placed the iron tip of her staff to his throat, crouching beside him. Then she whispered in his ear.

"My name is Celaena Sardothien, but it makes no difference if my name's Celaena, or Lillian, or bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me." She stood and took a handkerchief from her pocket and dropped it on his chest. "You can keep that." Then she walked away.

Two minutes.
She was barely breathing hard.
Aelia let out a breath she had been holding for the entire duration of the fight. The king stood and the crowd quieted again.
"Wine for the winners."

Cain was the only one to move as Kaltain picked up a silver tray with two goblets. She handed one to Cain first, then slowly stalked to Celaena. Kaltain spewed some nonsense, but Aelia didn't hear her as she stood.

Celaena's goblet had more than just wine.
Before she could shout, Celaena downed the drink. Dorian eyed Aelia as she hurried from her spot to where Chaol and Celaena stood. But the poison in the wine was already consumed. Chaol stepped forward and braced Aelia as she skidded to a stop. He saw her wild eyes.

"What is it?"
"Ready yourselves. And begin on my mark."
Celaena was already back in the ring.
"Celaena's drink." Aelia tried to whisper. "There was poison in it."

Chaol's eyes widened, but before either of them could move, the king shouted.
"Begin!"

Aelia felt dread coat her veins.
"What was it?"
Aelia shook her head. "I don't know."