Please Be... Alive [part 3 - final]

Summary: You finally learn the truth about who Annie really is, but find that you're still in denial until it's too late. The past catches up with you in an unexpected way.
(also known as Reader and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day) 

tsukidrama's note: sorry just sorry, all around. this chapter took me forever to write. life stuff and also because for some reason with this one i've been overwhelmed by the fear of Being Cringe?? i don't really care about that so i'm not really sure why 

-

ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢѕ: graphic depictions of (canon-typical) violence, blood/gore and dead bodies, betrayal, angst/hurt, religious trauma, and references to child abuse

-

"State your name for the record, please," says the military officer, their pen scratching against the top sheet of a hefty stack of files.

"Cadet Lastname ..." you reply nervously, "Y/N."

Another scratch of the pen, and the officer adjusts their glasses. You haven't been in the Survey Corps long enough to learn everyone's names, but you recognized this one – they're a Section Leader.

One of the nice ones, if you remembered correctly. Though now that you're up close, they're a lot more intimidating than you had anticipated, even if they are a little... kooky?

"Alright cadet, let's go ahead and get started. I assume that you know why you're here."

You twiddle your thumbs underneath the table. "I know that everyone in my training class is being interviewed. It has to do with the failed expedition, right?"

"Yes. As you know, we're looking for what might be behind the attacks on the Scouting Legion. We suspect it to be an Intelligent Titan hiding within our midst."

"And you think I know something about that?" you ask. Suddenly, you're scared. Alarm bells start going off in the back of your head and there's a pit gnawing in your stomach.

"We have reason to believe you're well-acquainted with our primary suspect," Hanji continues as your stomach drops, "Tell me everything that you know about Annie Leonhardt."

It's like your entire world slows down. Your gut twists as nausea bubbles up your throat. Trying to remain calm seems impossible, and you're sure that your physical reaction gives you away. Sweat drips down your brow as your heart races, your pupils dilating.

Eventually, all that comes out is a tiny squeak. "Annie?"

The officer nods. Surprisingly, they don't seem to pick up on your nervousness and instead they begin to elaborate. "Yes. Annie Leonhardt, stationed with the Military Police, graduated from the same Training Corps as you did. She was fourth in your graduating class," they elaborate.

Your face burns. "Yeah. I – I know who she is."

"Can you explain the nature of your relationship?" they ask, and to your horror, they start writing again.

Panic starts to set in. "Um, friends?" you say, and you break out into a cold sweat, "We're uh... close? Um... we're friends, I think. Uh, close friends."

They look up at you, somewhat in amusement. It's humiliating. You want to disappear into the floor. At least it gets them to stop writing, even if they are giving you a knowing smirk.

"You're... close friends?" Hanji repeats.

Your face goes a bright red. You want to find a better way to define it; to explain that you did spend a lot of time together without making yourself seem like you're some kind of teenage harlot or a stupid lust-addled kid who's in over her head.