What We Do In The Shadows

Being a familiar is not exactly how you saw your life going at this age. You thoroughly believed that a college degree and a stable job would be a part of your future but you could not be more wrong. Your plans changed the moment your eyes met her grayish blue ones, orbs that resembled the color of the sky on a stormy day.

Looking at her was hypnotizing. Well, mostly because she did use hypnosis on you, but the way her blonde hair would fall against her pale neck or the way her fangs would show even with her mouth closed, little details about her were enough to make you fall head over hills.

So when she offered you a job, you didn't hesitate to take it, though instead of getting paid, the two of you made a deal. You have fallen under the impression that Annie had any plans of turning you into a vampire, though she never talks about it or even allows you to say a word on the subject.

Working for Annie includes a list of several crimes, such as stalking, murdering and hiding corpses in the yard. Though it did have its sweet side, like the afternoons where you would make yourself some tea and allow Annie to drink a few drops of your blood so she could also enjoy it.

Oh, it was her favorite. To savor the nectar straight from your body when she couldn't contain her hunger any longer. She was a messy eater, always causing blood to drip down onto your favorite sweatshirts, though her touch was incredibly gentle.

A decade has passed since you began working for her and, even if she tries to put up a cold and careless front, you know that deep down she is ecstatic to be spending every day with you. You are so sure that, one day, you decide to put it up for the test.

"Master? Are you in here?" You ask, knocking on the door. The top of the coffin moves a little to the left, the candle lights barely illuminating her pale face that peeks out.

"Yes?" She responds and you have been with her long enough to know that she is giving you permission to come in.

"I brought you virgin blood and a heart I just ripped out of some pedophile's chest." You say in a singing tone. Immediately, the door to the coffin opens completely and Annie sits up, eyes glowing and fangs showing in excitement.

"Oh, tell me how you did it." She begs, lacing her own fingers together in front of her body. "Did you seduce him? Or did you use one of your famous methods?"

You take a seat on the chair that rests in front of her coffin and hand her the gold platter where the cup and the plate reside. She thanks you with a nod of her head and you cross your legs, getting into position to tell her your tale.

Annie loved it when you brought her the hearts of bad guys. Not because she likes to eat them, because she doesn't. According to her, the blood of those men taste tainted and therefore cause her to have the vampire equivalent of a tummy ache. She likes bathing in the blood of a terrible person and she says it does wonders for her skin.

She raises her hand and you finally notice her bare body exposed to the candle light. Her pink nipples erect and you look away in embarrassment. It isn't the first time you have seen Annie naked but it always causes your heart to skip a beat and your breathing to stop for a few seconds.

With her sharp nails, she squishes the heart until it explodes in her hand, blood dripping down her arm and face as she hums in delight. You notice that her eyes are closed and you take that moment to place your arm on your knee while using your hand to prop up your chin, eyes fixated on the beauty before you.

When she opens them again, you shake your head and pull out of the previous position. As she takes a sip out of the fresh cup of virgin blood, you walk towards the dresser and pick up a small towel before soaking it in warm water. You hand it to her as she hands you the now empty cup.