The Great Hair Massacre of 857

Summary: Annie decides that she wants bangs. As always, you get roped into helping her

Note: read chapter 139 and thought to myself: what a dykey chop job. i fucking love it. i'm going to give you the most beautiful life.

written by: tsukidrama

.

It's a Wednesday morning, and you're finishing up washing the dishes from breakfast when Annie comes back into the kitchen. She leans in the frame of the archway with a hand on her hips. You turn around to face her as you dry your plate off with a towel.

"I've been thinking about cutting my hair lately," she tells you.

You flip the plate to dry the other side. "Yeah? How short do you want it?"

Annie twirls a strand around her finger. At this point, it's grown a few inches past her collarbone, and it's easily the longest you've ever seen it. She considers the hair for a moment, lets it fall over her shoulder again.

"I actually like how long it is now," she says, "I just want to give myself bangs again."

Setting the plate down on the drying rack, you furrow your eyebrows in confusion. "Again? Wait, when did you have bangs?"

Annie looks taken aback. "I had them when we first met!" she insists, but then tilts her head to the side in thought, "or maybe they had grown a little grown out by that point."

You stifle a laugh and shake your head. "They were long by the time we met. You should have kept cutting them though. That hairstyle would've looked good."

Annie shrugs. She pulls one of the chairs out from the dining table and sits down facing you.

"What, did you hate them as a kid or something?" you ask. You reach back into the sink to dry the plate that Annie had used.

She shakes her head. "It's not that. Neither me or my dad really knew what to do with my hair. I got lazy with it," she says, and stifles a snort of a giggle, "Sometimes it would get so tangled that he would just cut pieces out. I cut it myself a few times too, but it was always a disaster."

You chuckle darkly. "Oh, no... Well, it probably wasn't that bad," you lie. You put the second plate next to the first and start to dry off your hands with the towel.

"No, it definitely looked like shit..." Annie laughs, "But he really did do his best to try and fix it. He always cared in little ways like that."

"Aww, Papa..." you squeal as love swells in your heart. You clutch your chest. "That is so sweet."

Annie rolls her eyes, but smiles anyway and nods. You pull another chair up next to her, and toss the towel on the counter before you sit.

"So your dad was the one who cut your bangs?" you ask.

She nods. "Yeah. I tried myself the first time and he made it look decent. And then he trimmed them once every two weeks for a good few years."

"Why did he stop?"

The joy fades from Annie's eyes, and she looks away.

"I left," she says quietly, and her voice breaks a little bit. As she looks down, she wipes her nose with her wrist, then stares at the floor.

Your chest sinks. "Oh..." you say, and your face falls as well.

You reach a hand out to touch her arm comfortingly. "You could have asked me to cut them for you. Back when we were back in the cadet corps I would have done anything for you. I know how you used to miss your dad back then."