Chapter 42: Mortemville, Montana 1988 April 23rd

I reluctantly woke up the next morning and laid in bed for a while, thinking about what was going to happen now that I had escaped from the hospital and the police were surely looking for me. I wondered if the nurses showed up in the morning to do their usual daily check-ups and saw the bed empty and the window open or maybe the officer noticed I was gone on one of his few peeks through the window. I wished I could see how baffled they were that a catatonic patient who could barely eat by himself managed to disappear without a trace in the night. I bet it's hilarious.

My thoughts about my hospital escape slowly drifted to my night with Steve and I could feel a small blush creep its way to my cheeks. I looked over to my side to look at him and he was turned on his side away from me; I smiled and rolled onto my side as well to wrap my arm around him and hold him. I could've fallen asleep again right then and there; however, I accidentally woke him up and he turned around to face me.

"Oh, I'm sorry..." I whispered softly.

"It's okay... how'd you sleep?" he smiled tiredly and rubbed his eyes.

I smiled, "Better than ever, how about you?"

"Like a log," he chuckled.

"Good," I chuckled as well and leaned in to give him a gentle peck on his forehead. He smiled at me and for a moment, we just sat in silence, gazing into each other's eyes while the after-effects of sleep slowly left our brains. No words could possibly describe how at peace I felt at that moment; the closest I could compare it to was tasting a sample of Heaven and I didn't want it to end.

Steve placed his hand on my cheek and caressed it with his thumb and I cherished the feeling of comfort that it gave me. I could stay there all day if I could, enjoying his presence and holding on for dear life to this small slice of happiness. I wished I could stay there all day but alas, I didn't want the police to show up at his doorstep and find me here; we'd both be taken to prison and then our lives would both be taken from us.

I knew I had to leave eventually for his own good but I just didn't want to leave so soon. I could always come back another day but I knew it would be a while because I would have to visit when he has a day off from work and his roommates are out of the house. Not only that but I, myself, would also be busy looking after Max. I'm not ready to leave my brother behind after he went through all that effort to help me escape. I'm positive he would still want me to hang around regardless of how wanted I am by the police and how much his parents hate me.

Steve and I laid there for nearly an hour, simply holding each other close and relaxing. I was listening to the gentle thumping of his heart in his chest, using the sound to lull me into a deep meditative state. He massaged my scalp and traced the thick scar that remained from my head injury in the car accident. It was a serene moment that seemed right out of a dream and I wished it didn't have to end.

However, that moment eventually did come when Sam knocked on Steve's door and announced that his boss had called and wanted Steve to come into work. We both gave a disappointed sigh and I reluctantly got up to get my clothes. Steve followed shortly after me and we dressed in silence. We were both bummed about me having to leave but I couldn't help but feel significantly more upset. I didn't want to have to leave so soon but I knew I had to, lest I'm discovered here. I think one outcome that would be just as bad as being arrested would be Steve's roommates discovering we slept with each other. It made me mad that we couldn't just exist without the fear of being humiliated.

When I was finished getting dressed, I climbed back onto the bed to Steve's bedroom window and pulled the curtains aside. Steve climbed up next to me as I pushed the window open and he gazed at me with a saddened expression.

"Am I going to see you again if the police are out looking for you?" he wondered. I looked at him and gave him a reassuring smile.

"Of course, they don't know what I can do... As far as I'm aware, I've disappeared off the face of the earth," I informed him and his smile returned. I put a hand on the back of his neck and pulled him in to give him one last loving kiss; he gladly obliged and quickly returned the kiss.