Chapter 27: Mortemville, Montana 1986 May 17th

I woke up with a bit of a headache and when I heard the unusual sounds of an AC running and people talking indistinctly, I grew confused as to where I was. I sat up and took a moment to let myself wake up and when I finally registered my surroundings, I finally remembered where I was.

Steve was still asleep on the floor and I could tell that he wasn't going to be waking up anytime soon. As quietly as I could, I stepped over him and left the room to use the restroom and maybe find some food to eat before I left for home.

Brain and Sam were already awake and talking softly in the kitchen about their experience last night. I paid no mind to them as I made my way to the restroom and, thankfully, they didn't see me. It was after I took care of my business and entered the living room, did they finally notice me.

"Ed? When the hell did you get here?" Sam wondered in confusion.

"I've been here," I chuckled tiredly and joined them in the kitchen for food.

"Ah shit, I didn't even know you stayed the night," Brian laughed.

I poured myself a glass of orange juice, "Well, yeah, you both passed out on the couch," I rolled my eyes playfully. They went on to both talk to me about the trip that they had; they enthusiastically spoke about odd hallucinations and sensations and laughed about the experience. They both seemed equally excited about the experience and I just let them go on; they never once brought up the incident with Steve so I assumed that they had forgotten it happened. As long as they didn't remember that specific incident, I was alright and confident that Steve would be okay for a while.

When I grew disinterested in Sam and Brian's chatter, I zoned out mentally and poured myself a bowl of cereal to eat. I thought about other things while I ate and daydreamed about anything that randomly popped into my head. Brian and Sam's voices were merely background noise to me and I was okay with that.

I returned to Steve's room to grab my things and once I had everything together, I said a quick goodbye to Brian and Sam and left. They returned the goodbye as I stepped out of the door and I waved again before shutting the door.

I got home while the Lockwoods must've been having breakfast because the smell of bacon and eggs was strong throughout the place. I decided to be nice enough to tell them I was finally home rather than just disappearing to my room and being yelled at later for coming home and not telling them. So, I casually made my way to the dining room and, when I arrived, sure enough, the family was seated at the table eating and talking casually.

I stood in the doorway until someone noticed me and finally, after a few seconds, Max happened to see me and he announced my presence by yelling out, "Birdie!!" Daniel and Lucy turned to me when he yelled my name and Daniel was quick to start asking his questions.

"Well, where the hell have you been?" he wondered.

"I'm sorry, I stayed the night at a friend's after my appointment," I explained.

"You could've called us, I was worried something happened to you!" Daniel exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, I won't do it again," I apologised.

"You better not... also your therapist called, he said he needed to talk to you," he stated.

I nodded, "I'll call him later. I need a nap." and with that, I disappeared down the hall to go to my room.

I didn't waste any time getting comfortable and burying myself in the comfort of my own bed and blankets. I was exhausted from last night and the effects of being high were still lingering in my system so sleep was very much wanted and needed.

...

I woke up sometime around noon and after taking my sweet time to shower, have lunch, and clean up my mess of a room, I picked up the phone to call Terrance. He didn't answer right away, which slightly annoyed me because I wanted to hear what he needed to tell me right away, but alas, I have to be patient.