Chapter 2: Watford, England 1977

Day 12:

I woke up with a pounding headache and a sickening feeling in my stomach. It felt like ages before I was finally able to open my eyes without the light of day burning my retinas. Everything seemed much bigger than before.

Once all of my senses had gradually returned to me, the whole world around me felt different. The colours, scents, and surroundings; they were all different from what I was used to. I was expecting to wake up in my bed at home, believing that the events of yesterday were only a part of the feverish dreams that I experienced. Only, I wasn't in my bed at home; I was sprawled under a dumpster and the smell of it was pungent.

So yesterday did happen... I thought dully as I pulled myself out from under the massive dumpster. I thought it was odd that I was under it in the first place; I didn't think a boy my size could fit under such a small gap. But upon further inspection, the dumpster itself seemed much larger than before... as if I had shrunk dramatically in size.

No, no... that's not possible! I thought, wobbling on my feet and eventually losing my balance and falling over. I grunted and for a moment I laid there, too dizzy and in pain to try and immediately get back up. Even my body felt as different as the perceived world around me. I wasn't used to it and it baffled me.

When I finally did decide to get up, however, I realised why my body felt so different. In the place of my arms, which I tried to use to lift myself up, were two massive black wings. I let out an unconscious yelp in surprise when my brain finally registered the sight and I scrambled back to my feet to examine this mystery further. Looking down at myself as best as I could, I saw that my body was covered completely in slick black feathers. I realised soon after, the extent that I could examine myself when I turned my head and I was able to see directly behind me. The drastic change in how I was able to see the world disoriented me and I felt a scream of confusion bubbling deep within me.

What the hell happened to me?! What the hell did that bastard do to me!? I thought to myself and shortly released that scream that was demanding to be let out. My voice sounded the same to my ears and it bewildered me. I was half-expecting a strange caw to escape my throat.

My confusion and fear lasted for ages. Constantly, I was racked with questions about how this was even remotely possible and why Hawkins did this to me. I wasn't aware his grudge was this strong but... why use black magic on me rather than just kill me? Frankly, I think death would be better than this!

I sat next to that dumpster for hours contemplating my future in this new and confusing form. Even after my initial fear had worn off, I sat with questions like, "how would I learn to fly?", "How will I find food?", "Do I have any predators to watch out for now?" I was so racked with questions and overwhelming stress that I almost debated making that alleyway and dumpster my new home. The idea was very tempting until I suddenly heard voices above me, seemingly arguing.

"Oi! I saw that meat first! Give it 'ere!" one older-sounding voice snapped.

"Fetch your own meat, I grabbed it first, ya fat slowpoke!" another voice responded. I was curious for multiple reasons; one of them being that I hadn't heard or seen any footsteps approaching the dumpster and another reason being that it was strange for anyone to rummage around a dumpster and argue over tossed meat. I was curious as to what loons were possibly in the vicinity.

"Me? A fat slowpoke? That's bloody bold for you to say!" the older voice growled and I peered out from underneath the dumpster to see if I could see the two arguing blokes. To my surprise, there was no human at the dumpster. In fact, as I listened to the two bicker over food, a realisation hit me when I suddenly caught sight of black feathers peaking over the edge of the dumpster. The two arguing were birds... and I could understand them.