Chapter 37: Somewhere in the Middle of the Woods 1987 November 1st

Max's P.O.V

My mind was an indecipherable blur, I didn't know what to make of anything. All I could truly focus on was my hand as it gripped the door handle tightly. Everything else was a deafening mix of booming and screeching noises and it felt as if some weird, strong force was trying to pull away from the door and into the cliffside with the rest of the car.

The silence that followed was even louder than the crash and for a moment, all I could do was stare at the car door, frozen in fear. My breath quivered and I could hear my heart pounding in my ears; it was surreal. This couldn't have been real life. I didn't know something like this could happen to me in real life.

A sound brought me out of my trance and I finally found the ability to move my body again. I looked at Bird and I instantly felt my heart plummet in my chest. He was slouched over the steering wheel, with half of his body pinned between mangled folds of metal.

"Bird...?" my voice was barely even a squeak but it was still louder than the deathly silent wreck around us. Another noise was heard and I made it out to be what sounded like rocks hitting the top of the car. It didn't feel right; something was telling me to get out.

"Bird?" I managed to croak louder but he still didn't respond. I didn't know what else I could possibly do. Everything seemed impossible suddenly and it only made me more scared. The rocks falling on the top of the car made me worry that something was going to happen and I wanted to leave but I just couldn't leave Bird.

Still unsure about what I should do, I acted on a whim and threw open the passenger side door. I unbuckled myself and then unbuckled Bird, although I knew he'd still probably be stuck. I took a firm hold of his arm and with whatever amount of strength I could muster, I pulled as hard as I could. His body slumped towards me and my eyes were greeted by the sight of blood. I paused momentarily, unable to process the sheer amount of blood that leaked from his cracked skull and the unnatural appearance of his shoulder. It was horrific and I felt queasy the longer I stared at it.

I couldn't stop though. I knew I couldn't stop. I still had hope that he was alive and I just couldn't leave him behind. I forced myself to keep moving and I wrapped my arms around his chest to get an even firmer hold on him. I pulled, straining and grunting as I put every single ounce of effort into my body. He remained firmly in place and my fear that I wouldn't be able to save him spiked dramatically.

"Come on! COME ON!! BIRDIE!!" I screamed and pulled on him more desperately. The rocks continued to fall onto the roof of the car and when I looked up to see what was happening, I laid my eyes on a large boulder at the top of the rock wall slowly tipping over in the direction of the car. An uncomfortable wave of dread washed over me and caused my stomach to twist painfully. Quickly, I forced myself to pull even harder to free him from the car. My strained grunts turned into panicked whimpers and yells of frustration. My heart was pounding in my chest again and the rocks that rained down from the rockslide felt like it was counting down to both of our deaths.

At last, as I struggled, his body came free from the wreckage and I quickly pulled him out of the car with what remaining strength I had left. And just in time, the boulder came crashing into the car with a loud bang that hurt my ears. The car crumpled like tin foil and just as quickly as the crash had happened, was it dead silent again. The silence echoed throughout the cliffs and the forest below and it made me feel alone suddenly.

All I could hear was the hollow wind blowing against the rocks and the blood in my ears. Everything else was as silent as a grave.

"Birdie...?" I called, even though I knew from the previous times I called his name, he wouldn't answer me. He already looked dead; he was covered in blood, his clothes were torn and his left leg was horribly bent in weird angles. I felt sick looking at him and I didn't want to accept that he was probably dead. My stomach was still twisted into knots and it hurt so bad. I didn't want to think that I had lost my brother forever just when I believed we would be going to live happily together. This couldn't have been happening.