WEEK 5 | Adeline

Bridget_Boyd  

Reviewer - bookybecka 

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

REVIEW

PRAISES

It is clear that the author has a firm grasp of imagery and description. Throughout the book, she uses beautiful language to describe the narrator's surroundings and inner world, which does a lot to helps the reader feel immersed in the story. In addition, there is beautiful character development. The author is fantastic at finding a balance between tension and harmony within the friendships and romance, and the relationships in the story feel important to the overall plot. In terms of plot, there is a good amount of excitement in the book. The first few chapters are focused on introducing characters, and soon after, the story really begins with the introduction of the Witch. There is also the overall storyline of Adeline (the title character) searching for her way home, all while navigating this strange, mysterious world she has landed herself in.

CRITIQUES

Of course, no story is perfect. My biggest critique of this story is the setting. As the reader, I found myself very confused about whether Adeline had actually travelled back in time to the Dark Ages, or if she has found herself in an alternate, magic world with similarities to Medieval Times. There are a lot of historical inaccuracies - such as the main character being given modern clothing (such as a bra), characters taking showers, and characters using modern slang. Basically, if you are looking to read fantasy, this is a great choice, but if you're looking for something with a realistic setting, you'll find yourself confused.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience reading Adeline! The book is fun and the story is intriguing. The author does a wonderful job keeping us reading by ending her chapters in ways that make you want to keep going. If you like fantasy, romance, and young adult, I highly recommend checking out.