WEEK 1 | A Larvikite for a Soul

_sashi

Reviewed by - THE-WICKED-QUXXN

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

REVIEW

A truly wonderful read.

First off, the cover is a gorgeous piece of art entrancing a reader at the first glance and drawing them towards the book.

The summary is another striking aspect of the book that deserves appreciation. The excerpt in the first paragraph is intriguing and engaging, sparking curiosity and compelling readers to dive into the story. The plotline is unique and an exemplary concept.

Chapter titles! I loved that you used actual phrasal chapter titles instead of numbering

The casting is perfect, I love Alicia and Dora's casting. Also, honourable mention to *cough* Aaron *cough*

The story begins with a catchy line, introducing the character, Alicia. Her personality is revealed smoothly along with the introduction of the other characters. The dialogue flows smoothly and comes across as a very natural conversation.

The fight sequence was very nicely written. Short, fast-paced sentences and very vivid imagery enhanced the scene and brought it to life.

I have to commend you on the use of your pirate/at sea vocabulary and terminologies. I can only imagine how much research it took before incorporating the lingo into your novel.

Straight from the first chapter, the reader is dropped right into the action. By the end of the chapter, a crucial plot point is revealed. Again, kudos to how you managed to convey that point without info-dumping or using a huge chunk of text.

The imagery used during the battle with the pirates was beautifully written. Alicia's emotions and feelings were efficiently written. When Lucas and Alicia fought together against the pirates in that scene, I felt as though I was in the book, watching the battle ensue with the Pirates Of The Caribbean theme song playing in the background. Their banter provides the perfect comic relief in the otherwise serious situation.

I could write an entire page about how much I love the character dynamic between Lucas and Alicia but alas, now I have to scream about how he just died. Killing your characters after writing them so beautifully and making your readers fall in love with them is awfully cruel but it is also the perfect hook to draw your readers more into the plot and give your MC a motive for further character development. I like how Alicia, mind clouded with grief and loss, challenges the Pirate Captain. Another glimpse of her back story is revealed through her conversation with her opponent sparking curiosity and interest.

I'm reading as I write this and I did not expect her to die.

Turns out Alicia might have been the protagonist of the prologue but not of the entire story. I'm starting to love the way the characters are introduced.

Anana (Which happens to translate to pineapple in French) I love the idea of wights and their ways. The Aura was described beautifully, with vivid imagery.

I like the concept of how Anana lives at the back of people's minds and lingers with them until their death. It sounds fascinating but incredibly sad now that I know that Alicia's death will not be the last I'll be encountering in the book.

In the further chapters, I love how you've effortlessly shifted perspectives, alternating between Anana and the protagonist of each chapter. The change in writing style to fit the period is smooth and remarkably fitting.

I loved Theodora's story, the bickering between her and her family was realistic and funny. The drama between her and her Ex-fiance was an interesting part of her story, the chemistry between her and Larry was adorable.

Anana's mysterious attack drums up the central conflict of the novel, her broken belt leaves her trapped, unable to go back to her own time.

Faced with new enemies such as the Toaster Monster and accompanied by another Wight, Lider who I think knows more than he's letting on, Anana's adventure begins.

I have nothing to critic, the writing style is nearly flawless and the storyline is unique and very well thought-out. The book is packed with adventure, humour, and a whole lot of captivating aspects. I can only imagine the extensive research and plotting it took to write this and I can assure you that it was a hundred per cent worth it. I'd be lying if I said that this wasn't one of my favourite reads on Wattpad so far.