24 // November 2015

She didn't exactly know what she was thinking, but she thought of visiting her parents back at Los Angeles and whether they've already changed their minds about her.

   And she obviously didn't expect that they'd adopt a child and pretend as though Leah wasn't their daughter in the first place. Her mother welcomed her into the old home but was cold and distant towards her, so was her father. When she looked around the house, the signs that Leah was once their daughter — the awards, medals and certificates she had gotten from numerous school awards to please her parents and wishfully make her think she's good too — was gone. And when a thirteen-year-old girl greeted her in a dress her mother wanted her to wear when she was her age, it all became conspicuous that she was replaced like a snap of a finger.

   She didn't expect that this was how far her parents would've gone through to make sure she's out of their lives. Leah didn't think of staying for more than fifteen minutes and politely as she could, acting as though the two adults weren't her parents once, left the house and never looked back again.

   Leah decided to stay at California for the rest of the month until New Year before she comes back to New York. She wanted to write another story, but she couldn't think of a plot or a simple beginning so she ended up staying at this little café-slash-bar near her motel and also by the seashore during morning, and taking long walks by the soft waves of the sea at the beach by night. A few times, she ended up waiting for the sunrise to come up.

   She thought of going to Michael's place but then decided not to. Perhaps he wouldn't like the sudden company and he was busy doing other things.

   The café Leah went to have a huge board at one side of the room where you could post stick notes on or directly write on it with permanent pen. She spent the whole morning reading them; they were of all sorts, from short poems to love letters of some sort. Seeing a permanent pen at the bottom of the board and finding a spot that wasn't written on, Leah began to write down.

Eyes that put the seas in shame

Even in her best days

The cloudless skies whose color in fame

Don't compare on his better days.

Lips that are crescent in the up side

Contagious and begs you to confide.

   And still, all could she think was Luke, Luke, oh Luke, where are you now?