Chapter 53

"I can't get hold of anybody since everything is on fire," Ian said as he hung up the phone for the third time.

"Doctor Sattler, get some water," Owen said as he handed her a bottle.

"Thank you," she sighed gratefully.

"Doctor Grant," Owen said as he handed another bottle to him.

"You're Owen Grady, right? You helped Anya work with the raptors?" Grant questioned.

"It's Masrani-Grady now, but yeah, we worked together. I'm a big fan of yours, actually. I read your book. Well, book on tape."

"Because god-forbid he picks up an actual book," Anya remarked as she walked past with a first aid kit in her hand. "How we doing?" she asked Maisie as she sat down in front of her.

"One here," she answered, pointing at the cut on her face.

"I think you'll live," she teased as she began to clean the cut, Maisie smiling back at her.

"You were both at Jurassic world, huh?" Ellie questioned Owen.

"Jurassic world?" Ian interrupted. "Not a fan."

"With all due respect to your ethical and moral perspectives, Doctor Malcolm," Anya spoke, dropping her arm from Maisie's head. "I may not agree with everything that happened, the genetic modification, the baby petting zoo, but my father didn't build that theme park to make money or even to fulfil a wish to a dying friend," she began, Owen looking at her with a proud smile on his face. "He built it to teach people some humility. To teach them some perspective. Of how big the world can be, of how small we are, how new we are, and how every moment counts," she explained as she cupped Maisie's face and made the girl smile before turning back to face Ian. "That is why my father built it. And that is why I will defend the creation of that park until my dying day."

The three doctors were rather stunned as they let her words sink in, Anya casually going back to cleaning Maisie's wound before Kayla came down from the higher level.

"Ok. So, we good to find a way out of here?" she asked as Owen swung a tranq gun onto his shoulder, everyone snapping out of their daze.

"Yep," he answered.

"Let's get it. There's a helicopter out in the main complex. We turn the ADS back on we go home," Kayla explained before Ellie asked what the ADS was.

Anya, in the meantime, was cursing the fact that she had to get on a plane again as she packed up the med supplies.

"Hey," Maisie said softly as she reached for Anya's hand. "It'll be alright, mum," she promised, and Anya looked as if she was about to cry as she wrapped Maisie in another hug.

"Rani," Owen called as he looked over some blueprints while Kayla explained what the ADS was. "Can you make out any of this?"

She rolled her eyes at him as she began pouring over the blueprints.

"How are we going to turn it back on?" Maisie asked as she approached the table where her parents stood.

"Ok, so it looks like all the systems run through to the control room which is on the third floor," she announced as she tapped her finger on the plans.

"These outposts are all connected underground," Owen revealed before he and Ian managed to slide open a metal door to reveal a ladder that led down.

"Your, uh, your wife," Ian said to Owen after they did so. "She's a bit of a fiery one, isn't she?"

He smirked.

"Only when someone insults her family or tells her she can't do something," he replied as Ian raised his eyebrows and nodded whilst Owen turned to Alan. "Alright, easy, Rambo," he said as he took back the tranq gun that Alan was holding at the ready.