Chapter 50

(A/N: Two chapters today, because why not. Hope you enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

It was even colder outside as her chair hurtled through the air, a few screams tearing themselves from Anya's mouth as she clutched the straps of her seat before the parachute deployed.

Her heaving breaths seemed to slow as she tried to calm herself down, rather surprised she hadn't had a heart attack yet with the amount of stress she'd just experienced.

As usual though, she spoke too soon as Pterosaurs and Dimorphodons came swooping at her. There was nothing she could do to fend off their attacks as her knife was unreachable in her boot. The situation worsened, which she should know by now is always possible, when a few of them tore large holes into her parachute.

"Bastards!" she swore as she began to plummet while trying to fight the wind as she reached for the lever.

Yanking it down, the second parachute deployed, but it barely slowed her descent as she landed in the thick, dense canopy of the trees.

The jolt of the landing had knocked her out cold, her head hitting the back of the seat so hard that she blacked out.

But in those few minutes of unconsciousness, it wasn't all black as the name implied.

Rather it was a large white room with a familiar face standing inside it.

"Papa?" she asked, a voice shaking much like her body had before.

"Beti," he smiled as she closed the distance between them and crushed him into a hug.

"Papa, I miss you so much," she cried as he held her, nothing but a smile on his face.

"I miss you too, Anya, but look how far you've come without me. You survived. You found a family."

"But I lost it and I lost you," she sobbed as she pulled away. "Papa, I don't know how to do this. I could barely pull that parachute and I don't even know if Owen's alive and –"

"Beti," Simon interrupted as he reached for her shoulders, tears still streaming down her face. "You know exactly what you need to do. You need to put one foot in front of the other and you need to find my granddaughter."

"But what if I can't?"

He laughed a hearty sound that she hadn't heard in years, a sound that made her heart ache.

"Where is my daughter that would ride a T-rex just to prove someone wrong or tamed velociraptors just because she could? You have to believe in yourself, beti. Focus on what you can control, and you can control your belief in yourself. Because I believe you can do this."

"But what about what you used to say? That the key to a happy life is to accept that you are never actually in control?"

"Of course! You can't control the weather. Or if God decides to light the sky on fire or send your plane hurtling from the sky."

She shoved his shoulder for that last comment as he laughed again.

"But you can control the small things. The way you think about yourself, the way you think about others. Do you still think of Maisie as your daughter?"

"There's no doubt in my mind," she answered instantly.

"Then there should be no doubt in you that you can save your daughter. Which is why you can't stay here."

"Papa, I don't want to lose you again!" she said as the tears began rolling down her face again.

"Anya, beti, you never lost me. You will never lose me. I am always here," he said as he pointed to her heart, a very him thing to say. "And when your time comes, which won't be for a very long time, god-willing, I'll be here waiting for you."

"But, Papa...."

"Shh, my sweet girl," he cooed as he stroked her head, his hand going down to cup her cheek. "There is no choice here. You have a family that needs you. A daughter that needs you to save her. You cannot stay."

She took his words in as she bit her lips and nodded, tasting the salt of her tears.

"I'll make you proud, Papa."

The look he gave her was one of adoration.

"You already have."

And Anya squeezed her eyes shut as she wrapped him in a hug one more time.

"I love you, Papa. So much."

"I love you too, beti. By the way," he said. "I always knew that Owen would one day become my son-in-law."

And she couldn't help but laugh as the image of her father faded and her eyes fluttered open to the forest she was actually in as the ringing in her ears died down and she became fully aware of her surroundings.

The parachute had been caught in the treetops and her chair was still dangling a few healthy metres from the ground, her seatbelt the only thing keeping her from falling.

Owen had done a damn good job of strapping her up because now she couldn't get down as she fiddled with the clips, aware of the deer grazing below her as she repeated her father's words to herself.

She stopped making noises with the clips completely as her chest grew hollow, and she turned to meet a white eye.

The blind eye of a Therizinosaurus stared at her as it chittered.

Anya didn't dare even breathe as it walked past her and towards the deer.

Its talons sliced through it easily as Anya was now able to lift her leg up to grab her knife from inside her boot before cutting through the straps and falling to the ground.

Lying on her stomach, Anya propped herself up on her elbows before she realised that the Therizinosaurus would now be after her now that the deer was dead.

"Water," she muttered as she saw the algae-covered lake up ahead. She could feel it getting closer, she could hear its chittering getting louder as she crawled through the underbrush, hoping to get to the lake where the water and the algae would block her scent.

The water was even colder as she crawled into it, the mud beneath squelching under her skin as she waded out deeper.

She made it out to the middle of the small lake, the dinosaur's feet braced on either side as it lowered its head to the water.

Taking the biggest breath, she could, Anya tried to slow her racing heart as she lowered herself under the water.

It felt like her bones were shivering inside her as her lungs began to scream for air, her hands holding her braid down to her chest, so it didn't float up to the surface.

It didn't matter how deep the water was though, because Anya was fairly certain that you'd be able to hear the Therizinosaurus's roar at any depth, especially since its head was right above her.

Aside from surviving, another good thing about being in that lake was that she could feel the vibrations of the dinosaur's footsteps as it walked away, and Anya dared lift her eyes and nose above the water to watch it walk off.

As her adrenaline finally wore off, her movements were sluggish as she pulled herself from the lake and onto a fallen tree that she planned to use to haul herself to her feet, at least until she saw the horizon.

Black smoke billowed from the plane crash, and it looked as if it had crashed on a frozen lake, but she couldn't tell exactly with how far away she was.

"Ok. Ok," Anya said to herself, determined not to have another panic attack at the thought of her dead husband. "Focus on what you can control. Focus on your breathing. Slow breaths. Your husband is one tough son of a bitch. He's not going to die from a measly plane crash," she reasoned as she pushed herself to her feet. "One step at a time. One step at a time to Maisie. My daughter. I'm going to get my daughter."

And with her knife in hand, Anya wrapped her arms around herself as determination filled her and she began the long trek through the woods to Biosyn and towards Maisie.