Chapter 51

Meanwhile, her daughter was actually heading away from Biosyn.

She'd managed to find her way to Dr Ellie Settler and Alan Grant, the legends who were around for the first Jurassic Park that John Hammond built when he was still working with her grandfather.

The doctors then brought Maisie along with them as they made their escape from Biosyn, their mission having been to get a DNA sample from a mutated locust so that Ellie could prove Biosyn was behind the locust epidemic that would soon put Biosyn in charge of all the grain and food in the continental US.

Ellie and Alan now sat opposite Maisie in the hyperloop as they made their way to the airfield where a plane was said to be waiting for them.

"How are you? You alright?" Alan asked after they'd hit halfway.

Maisie huffed a laugh as she stared at the ceiling, recalling everything she'd been through.

"Not really, no," she answered.

"Hey...I, uh, knew your mom," Ellie revealed, and Maisie sat forward.

"You did?" she asked, and Ellie nodded.

"Yeah, uh, a few years after Hammond died, she came to my university to lecture, and we became good friends."

"What was she like?" Maisie inquired eagerly.

"Brilliant, light years ahead of everybody else. She had a conscience. While they were out building theme parks, well, she was determined to prove that genetic power could save lives," Ellie explained.

"And I was her experiment."

"No. She wanted a child more than anything. But she wanted you to have what she couldn't. a full life. I didn't know her long, but I know she loved you very much."

The words brought Maisie a lot of comfort before Alan was the one who sat forward.

"Just like I know your other mother loves you very much."

Maisie furrowed her brows.

"You know Anya?"

"We met a few times when Jurassic World was still operating," Alan informed her. "The last time I saw her, her raptors had just been born and she wanted to talk to me about my research on them. They were barely a few weeks old, and she already loved them like a mother would and I remembered thinking how lucky and how loved her child would be if she had one."

Maisie's smile was small.

She knew that Anya loved her.

It was rarely said but it was shown.

It was shown in the trinkets she brought back for her.

In the way she never got mad when Maisie did something wrong and rather took the time to understand why she'd done it.

When she always served Maisie dinner first before anybody else.

And always popped her head in her door to say goodnight.

Yeah, Maisie knew she was loved.

Owen even did similar things.

The serving her first at dinner.

Checking in on her when she was asleep.

But he also loved to teach her how to drive even though she was 14. He wanted her to be able to use the car if she ever needed it to get away.

Same reason why he started teaching her the basics of self-defence. Not that it made much of a difference right now.

He taught her how to ride her bike.

The motivational speeches he gave when she fell off or when she felt like she couldn't accomplish something that made her feel like she could conquer the world afterwards.

Anya was the one that healed her wound and Owen was the one that pulled her back on her feet.

She knew they were her parents, but she'd never really said it aloud.

In this moment now, when she thought about all they'd done for her, she wanted to say it, she wanted to tell them.

If she ever saw them again.

A wish that looked a little less likely to come true as the hyperloop suddenly stopped and the lights went out.