Chapter 25

"Ken, your truck, is now mine," Anya ordered as she looked from the radar screen inside the radio tower to the gun she held and cocked it before tucking the weapon into the waistband of her pants.

"I'm coming with you. We don't know what kind of condition she might be in," Zia announced as she geared up along with Owen and Anya.

"Ladies, things could get hairy out there," Ken warned Zia and Anya and they whirled on him.

"These are powerful sedatives," Zia snapped as she held one from his bandolier. "One too many and she could have respiratory failure. Also, I'm not as soft as your comment implies," Zia finished as she slid the dart back into Ken's bandolier and his eyes fell on Anya.

"I've been hunted by the animals I've trained. I've been attacked by the most dangerously intelligent creature in history. And you're going out there with him," Anya spat as she pointed at Owen. "But who do you think kept him alive for almost nine years on this island," she said to Ken before she turned, and Zia began to walk with her.

"I can take care of myself," Owen piped up and Anya pointed a finger at him, eyes still on Wheatley.

"Not the point. But, if anything, you're the one that should be staying behind Kenny," she said before she turned, and Zia began to walk with her.

"Let's go beefcake," Zia called to Owen and Anya pouted in intrigue.

"Beefcake," she said trying out the word. "I like that. I'll be stealing that one from you," she said to Zia as she held the door to the back of the van open for her, tossing her bag up.

"Be my guest," Zia grinned as she climbed in, but just as Anya was about to, someone pulled her back.

"Holding the door open. What a gentleman," Owen grinned as he went in first Anya sighing as she shook her head and followed her boyfriend inside.

Soon after Ken and his men boarded, they were off, following Owen's directions as he observed their location in retrospect to Blue's on a tracker that Franklin had given him.

"We're not gonna get any closer to her in this thing. We should stop here," Owen announced after a few minutes of driving.

"Hold up!" Ken ordered and the van was brought to a stop. "Load out, look alive, stay alive. We got your back brother," Ken said to Owen and Anya only looked to Zia and rolled her eyes as she scoffed.

"Men. Hug it out later boys," she huffed as she pushed past all of them, snatching the tracker from Owen's hand as she set off, not waiting for anyone.

"Claire's on standby if she runs, but for now, it's just us," Owen's voice said eventually as he caught up to her.

"Wouldn't have it any other way," she grinned before hearing a familiar squawk and flinching.

Overhead, dozens of Pterosaurs and Diamorphions were flying above the canopy, the tiny human's invisible beneath the trees.

But just watching them had been enough to make Anya's hands tremble. These were the animals that killed her father.

But before Owen could offer any words of encouragement, Anya had moved, crouching down over a footprint, what looked like a raptor footprint. What was a raptor print.

"Wheatley, we're on fresh sign, wait for my signal," Owen then ordered into his walkie talkie as Anya's eyes scanned the trees.

She was close.