Chapter 47

"Morning," Owen said as he came up behind Anya who was making breakfast, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

"Hi. Hungry?"

"For you? Always," he murmured into her neck as she laughed, his arms tightening around her as she set down the knife she was buttering toast with to cover his hands with hers.

"Not what I was talking about, but I could be persuaded."

She felt Owen smile into her skin, his beard ticklish.

"Where's Maisie?" he asked, and Anya turned to the window.

"She's right out –"

She cut herself off when she saw what Maisie was doing.

She was feeding her piece of toast to a baby velociraptor. One that looked exactly like Blue.

And with dinosaurs, where the baby went, the parents usually followed.

The couple didn't hesitate to dash outside, right as the baby went to hide behind its' mother who'd just made an appearance.

"Maisie don't move," Owen said as he stood with his hand out, Anya moving to shield Maisie from Blue. "Hey, girl. Staying out of trouble?" Owen asked.

"She had a baby. That's impossible," Maisie pointed out.

"Apparently the rules have changed," Anya muttered, her arm still out to protect Maisie but not hide her from Blue, which would've made her angrier as she screeched, and Owen pointed a finger at her.

"Back up," he ordered.

"She won't hurt us, right?" Maisie asked.

"Oh, she absolutely will. She's a mother now," Anya answered as she took a step forward. "But so am I."

Owen and Maisie looked at her in surprise. It was sort of the first time they'd ever stated outright that they considered Maisie their daughter.

Blue screeched again as Anya reached out an arm.

"Back off," she snarled through gritted teeth, white smoke escaping her mouth as Blue roared again before taking off through one of the many broken holes in the wooden fence that surrounded their property.

"The nest's gotta be nearby. Maisie, get inside," Owen instructed.

"I'm coming with you," Maisie fired back.

"What did I just say?" Owen snapped and Anya rolled her eyes at her husband before she turned to Maisie.

"Sweetie, please go inside. Owen and I can handle ourselves against Blue and you've never faced her before. She doesn't know you. Please just go back inside with Claire, alright?" she pleaded, and Maisie huffed as she marched back inside, and Anya turned back to Owen. "Reasoning with her works a little better than demanding."

Owen sighed.

"I'll apologise when we get back. This parenting thing isn't exactly a cakewalk."

"And hunting a velociraptor is?"

He rolled his eyes at her as he took her hand.

"Let's just find her."

Though they walked hand-in-hand, they didn't speak as they walked through the woods, senses on high alert as they scoured the area for Blue and her baby.

"Babe," Anya exclaimed as she pointed to a scene in the distance and the couple began sprinting.

A truck had pulled up, a group of men wrestling to restrain something in the bed of the truck, presumably Blue's baby as Blue's cries of protest could be heard but Blue herself was nowhere to be seen.

Owen pulled his wife to a screeching halt as they got a look at the man who was sticking half his body out of the passenger window. He was a dinosaur poacher that they'd run into a few times.

Except this time, he was pointing a gun at them as Owen tackled Anya to the ground, covering her body with his as the man fired off two shots before he lost his line of sight.

"Come on! We might be able to cut them off at the bridge!" he exclaimed as he helped her up as they began hauling ass across the snow-covered ground.

But when they got to the hill that overlooked the river and the bridge, the sight they saw struck more fear into Anya's heart than she'd ever felt before.

Because the same man that shot at them had just thrown Maisie's bike off the bridge and into the frigid waters.

Anya's breathing was heavy as she grabbed Owen's forearm, her husband also in an equal state of shock.

"We need guns. And the car. We have to get her back, Owen!" she rambled, Owen's shaky breathing matching her own as he gave her a determined look.

"And we will."

And the two of them took off sprinting back towards the cabin.

"Claire, they found her!" Anya shouted as they burst through the front door, hearts racing, chests heaving and the situation seeming like it wasn't happening.

"What?! Who are they?!" she asked as she stopped preparing lunch, Owen and Anya rifling through their belongings as they tracked down their guns and extra rounds of ammo.

"Poachers," Anya answered as she tossed Owen some bullets.

"We've seen them around," Owen continued. "Leader's a real shit heel. They must've recognised Anya and me and followed us here."

"Where is she?!" Claire exclaimed, worry building in her chest as Anya dashed into Maisie's room to grab a few things of hers for when they found her.

"Go get the truck!" Owen instructed as he finished getting the weapons.

Claire made it down the front steps before she was calling out for Owen and Anya who rushed out to her to see Blue roaring at them.

"Hey! No!" Anya scolded as she and Owen held out their arms. "They took her kid too," Anya explained to Claire.

"We're going to get her back. I promise you that," Owen swore but Blue didn't calm as she snapped at them, and Owen flinched as Claire screamed.

Anya only lowered her arm as she took a step forward and shook her head.

And Blue let out one more loud roar before running off, both Anya and Owen appearing a little shaken up.

"Let's go!" Claire urged as she climbed in the backseat and snapped them out of their daze. "I know who to call!" 

This time Anya jumped into the drivers seat as Owen got into the passenger side, and they prayed that Clarie's plan would work. 

They couldn't lose Maisie.