Chapter 23

The tension from Anya's shoulders instantly released as she set foot on flat ground, the plane having landed and pulled into a military camp.

But she knew instantly that she didn't like the older, serious-looking leader of the camp as she followed Owen off the plane.

"Where's the, uh, raptor wranglers?" the man had asked as they walked over to him.

"Animal behaviourist. Owen Grady," Owen introduced as he shook his hand.

"Hey, Owen. Ken Wheatley," the man introduced before his head turned to Anya, eyes hidden behind sunglasses.

"And you are?"

"I'm Anya Masrani. Owen's partner both personally and professionally and former owner of this island," Anya introduced as she shook his hand.

"You are quite the woman," he said almost suggestively, and Anya's smirk wasn't for him, but for what Owen would say. Though he wasn't overly possessive, the alpha raptor in him made it very clear to others what was his.

"And you're the uh, Great White Hunter," Owen mocked and Ken laughed as he removed his shades.

"I guess. I'm the expedition facilitator," Ken replied.

"Oh, god! It's hot!" Franklin exclaimed as he began to shed his jacket and Owen and Anya glanced up to the smoking volcano.

"It's about to get a whole lot hotter," Owen remarked and the volcano rumbled almost as if in agreement.

Here they go.