The Interrogation

Six

16th March 2003

Akash walked into the station with a few essential documents in hand, he had his small diary and a pen placed inside the inner pockets of his suit. He scanned the entire station, constables and juniors busy walking around, various documents and complaints piling on the nearby desks, two policemen talking to each other in one corner, his eyes couldn't find the Supreme interrupter, Syna. He made the move and asked the jailer to let him see David. The jailers checked him thoroughly and led him to David's cell.

   'I didn't expect to see you here.' Came David's voice. Akash turned around to look at him. David was in a bad posture, spent an entire day sobbing hard for his loss.

   'I had to. My uncle, whom I cared about is dead. My only living relative is now held in custody.'

   'So, you're here to find the one who killed your uncle, not because you care about me?' David said, he stood up and slowly walked towards the iron bars.

   'I am also here to get you out and help you find the one who killed your wife and daughter.' Said Akash in a determined voice.

   'So, you don't suspect that I killed all of them?' asked David, a little surprised.

   'You are a douchebag, that I can't deny, but I do know you have your boundaries, which you would never cross.' Akash said sarcastically. David chuckled slowly and looked around the cell, rubbing his head.

   'Did you hear the news? Rahul Arora, an accomplice of The Stalker was hanged yesterday.'

   'Almost everyone knows about it, was on the front page of all newspapers. Just pray that I don't end up like him.'

   'But to help you, I need some of your help.' Said Akash and took out his diary.

   'What help do you need? asked David, blankly.

   'The cops won't allow me to be a part of the interrogation, furthermore, if they decide to hold you further in custody, I won't get any answers or leads from you.' He said, looking at David and his lawyer keenly. 'So, I want you or your lawyer to report to me the questions asked, along with your answers, is that possible for you?'

   'Alright. My attorney can-'

   'No. Not at all.' The lawyer spoke mildly, joining the conversation. 'I'm sorry David, but as your Attorney, I would strongly advise against this.' He said, watching the Detective's blue eyes, trying to see through them. David stood there, speechless.

   'If you're not aware, I'm a private – '

   'Detective.' The lawyer finished his sentence. 'I'm well aware of all my client's relatives and their professions, but I'm also aware of human nature, so no offence, but I suggest against this idea of yours and forbid you to ask any further questions.'

Akash narrowed his eyes, in a vexed manner. He glanced at David. But David's face conveyed that there was nothing he could do in the current circumstances. The conversation slipped through Akash's hands like sand, he prepared to leave them,

   'Can I ask you one question, David?' he asked slowly. Before the lawyer could say something, David shot a hand in the air to silence him, he looked back at Akash and nodded.

   'What was the special reason behind that party?' David was taken aback by the question.

Akash never left David's gaze as he walked towards the bars and gestured Akash to come closer. Akash obliged and put his ear to the bars. The answer to that question came as a whisper in Akash's ear, shocking and puzzling him at each moment. After David was done speaking, he looked at him wearily. Nevertheless, he had answers to a few questions, which he craved for. Once he was done placing his diary back in his pocket, he took a last glance at the lawyer, then at David, who had a guilty look on his face.