Percy & Nico - Epilogue

Start from the beginning

Now, when Nico heard picnic, he was expecting a picnic. A blanket on the ground, some food, maybe even a few desserts.

He was not expecting a romantic dinner.

The park had an observation deck that was completely transformed. Percy had hung fairy lights everywhere (he knew how much Nico like them), and made all the food from scratch, with the help of Sally and Paul, of course. When they heard Percy's plan, they jumped on board almost immediately.

"Baby, what's going on?"

Percy smiled. "I'll let you know after dinner, okay?"

On one hand, Nico really wanted answers. On the other hand, he saw garlic bread on the table. 

"Fine. After dinner."

And Percy did let him know after dinner.

His intentions were clear when he got down on one knee. 

Nico tried very hard not to cry while Percy gave his speech in full ASL.

Nico, I don't think I'll ever get to truly explain how much I love you. I love you more than I've loved anything before. And when I'm with you, nothing can hurt me. We were only teenagers when we met. And even then, I knew I loved you. It didn't matter to me that you were the 'deaf kid'. I wanted you for you. It's been 7 years since that day, Nico.

Nico nodded, tears threatening to spill any moment. 7 dates for 7 years, right?

Percy nodded, starting to tear as well. I'm glad you noticed. Tomorrow will be out anniversary and I want nothing more than to call you my husband-to-be before then. So, Nico Di Angelo, will you marry me?

Nico couldn't take it anymore. He lunged at Percy, kissing him all over. Repeating one thing and one thing only.

"Yes."

...

Nico Di Angelo-Jackson was 27 years old when he heard his husband's voice for the first time.

At his most recent doctors appointment, Dr. Solace shared some news.

"It can be possible for you to hear again." He had said. "Many people who are considered deaf still have some degree of hearing. We are able to give you specially-designed hearing aids that can help you to hear again."

Nico kept this a secret from Percy. He worked on living with his hearing aids. The first few times, he experiences sensory overload. It was expected, Nico figured, when you go from hearing nothing to hearing everything. So he worked on it, with the doctor's help of course. He'd be put in a silent room, where, little by little, he'd be expose to sound. It started off low, the first being whit noises until Nico could listen to forty things playing at once without the overload. Of course, once the hearing aids came off, Nico was still deaf, but it was an improvement.

Percy Di Angelo-Jackson was 28 years old when his husband heard his voice for the first time.

He'd just gotten home from work. He was a marine biologist now, working in an aquarium. He work specifically with kids that were hard of hearing, giving them tours through sign language. 

He entered the Di Angelo-Jackson home, not bothering to announce his arrival. Who would hear it and respond? The cat?

However, when Percy walked in, Nico turned around from the couch. Percy waved. How was your day?

Nico scrambled off the couch so quickly, Percy thought he was going to fall. What-

Nico grabbed his hands, enabling his ASL. "Speak. Say something. Anything."

Percy gave his husband a confused smile. "Hi. How was your day?"

Nico released Percy's hands only to use them to cover his mouth. A few tears leaked from his eyes, which Percy hastily wiped away. "Nico? Talk to me, what's wrong?"

Nico sniffled. "You voice is... it's beautiful, Percy."

Percy gasped. "You mean- you can hear me."

Nico could only nod, chocked back by tears. 

"Oh my god. Om my god. You can hear me. You- You're not even looking at my lips right now and you can hear me!"

Percy picked Nico up by the waist, twirling him around before kissing him with all the love he couldn't put into words.

And there was a lot of love.

...

And this book is officially finished 🎉

It's in a third-person view cause it's like Percy and Nico narrating at the same time, if that makes sense.

I'll still be working on this book through editing (Spell and clarity check) but there will unfortunately be no more new chapters. I'm very sad to see this book go, but I'm happy so many people enjoyed it!

For the last time,
-Todoroni 🍝🧀