Percy - The Date to End All Dates

My mom once called me an impulsive thinker. She said it means I don't typically think about my decisions before I make them. That I do things without thinking about the aftermath. At the time, I insisted this was untrue.

Now here I was, in my step-father's Mercedes-Benz, with my boyfriend, four dollars, and no clue where we're heading for our first date. I had to say, pretty impulsive of me.

Thank god for the $1 $2 $3 Dollar Menu at McDonald's.

Soon we were sitting across from each other in a booth at McDonald's sharing an order of large fries. I wanted to sit next to him, so we'd be closer, but he insisted it was easier to read my lips when I was across from him. For a while, we just sat and ate as I resisted the urge to hold his hand every time he reached for a fry. I'm sure Nico wouldn't have minded it I did, that wasn't the problem. It was the people. I don't understand what's wrong with me. I had no problem nearly (emphasis on nearly) frenching Nico on the roof of our school but I can' t bring myself to touch his hand in front of the two people eating?? Good god I'm a mess.

Nico tapped the table in front of me.

"Are you okay?"

I looked up at him and flashed my most convincing smile. "Of course I am!"

Nico looked at me funny, like he could almost tell I was lying. So I naturally changed the subject. I noticed a ring on his finger. It was shaped like a skull, which I guess match the rest of him - totally emo.

I pointed to it. "Where did you get that from?"

Nico followed my gaze and hesitated for a moment. Oh no. Was that too personal? "My uh older sister gave it to me a long time ago."

I took a sip of my Pepsi. "I though Hazel was younger than you?"

Nico nodded. "She is. I wasn't talking about her."

Nico kept his eyes on the table. I sat there confused. What other sister could Nico have besides Hazel? Did she leave home or something? Or did she...

Suddenly, it clicked.

"D-Did something happen to her..?"

Nico didn't hear me. I mean, obviously he didn't hear me, he's deaf, but this time it was on purpose. He kept his eyes everywhere but my lips, which made it very hard to communicate. It's fine. I couldn't make him tell me anything. I could only stand by and be supportive when he did want to talk. 

We ate in silence. A few fries later, Nico took out his phone, and I got a notification. Well, a few notifications:

Neeks 🖤💀 (Just Now):
1 New Message

Argo II Crew GC: Bro 😍🥺 (20 Min Ago):
1 New Message

Wise Girl 📚✍ (30 Min Ago):
2 Missed Calls
2 Voicemails
5 New Messages

Obviously, I opened Nico's first. Jason could wait a few minutes. Annabeth could wait forever.

Neeks 🖤💀: I'm sorry

Me: Don't be sorry. I shouldn't have assumed it'd be okay to ask about. It's fine it you don't wanna talk about it. Or if you do! I'll be here for you ❤

I looked up to see Nico smiling at me. I felt good to see him smile again.

"So we're sending hearts now?"

I laughed. "Oh, now I'm sending all the hearts!"

Me: ❤❤❤
Me: ❤❤❤❤❤❤
Me: ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤