Chapter 1: Me or Gene? - Aftermath

Summary:

As Naru walked away, his question lingered in the air: "Me or Gene?". She remained quiet and watched as Naru walked away from the lake.

What now?

"The trouble with love is... it doesn't care how fast you fall..." [The Trouble with Love, by Kelly Clarkson]

Obligatory statement: I do not own nor make any profit from Ghost Hunt, it's characters or my imagination.

---------------

EXT. LAKE, LATE AFTERNOON 

SHORTLY AFTER DISCOVERING GENE'S BODY

As Naru walked away, his question lingered in the air: "Me or Gene?"

Stunned? Confused? Angry? Saddened?

She didn't have the correct word to accurately describe the implication behind his question, and how it made her feel. For once she remained quiet and simply stood there, watching as Naru walked away from the lake, and away from her.

Her impulsive side tugged at her, telling her to run after him and say something. Before she could act, a soft voice sounded in her head "Wait". She realised that she would have to take a moment to fully understand his question and what caused him to ask that. She needed to figure out how to respond in a way that only her idiot scientist would accept with minimal doubts on her intentions.

She was pulled from her thoughts by the sound of footsteps approaching and instinctively knew who it was.

He stood next to her and looked at Naru's retreating figure. He remained quiet for a moment before saying, "I think I know what your brief conversation with him was about. I'm not one to normally give out advice, especially on matters like this, but you will have to be patient and give him some space. You will also need to clearly spell it out for him, but only once you are certain. He isn't one to let people in easily."

Mai looked up at Lin and remained silent while he continued, "When Eugene was... alive, girls often mistook Naru for him. They would come up to him and confess their feelings. All it showed to him was how superficial those girls were. It may not seem it, but it did frustrate him. In all the time I have known them, you are one of the few who has seen and treated him as an individual. Not the other twin. Not 'Oliver Davis, son of Martin Davis'. You even went as far as to give him a nickname created just for him without any background knowledge."

She nodded, understanding what he was trying to say. "Okay. Thanks Lin. I'll keep that in mind while I sort this out."

She hesitated before asking, "Will it be too awkward if I go back with you both in the van? Just be honest - if you think it will be, I'm sure I can make my way back..."

Lin smiled briefly and put his hand on her shoulder as he shook his head. "Let's go. I'll give you both some time. I need to sort out some things before we leave."

******

Mai stopped shortly before reaching the van before realising that it was only a 3-seater, unless she sat with the equipment. She would have to sit next to him, regardless of whether it was the middle or window seat. Up until this point, she had never really considered it. From the moment she confessed, it changed the dynamics of them. She loved being close to him, but in light of the circumstances, she didn't want to cause him any discomfort by being next to him.

She mentally shook her head and straightened her shoulders before carrying on. As she came up to the van, she could see the rear doors open with all of the equipment loaded, and Naru sitting with his eyes closed. A memory surfaced from one of their earlier cases, where he had been in a similar position. Closing her eyes briefly, she smiled at their light banter (and dare she say it, flirting), and how peaceful he had looked.